Monday 5 October 2015

BE A SUPER BOY? I WAS STUNG!


Images copyright D.C. THOMSON & Co., Ltd

Anyone recall this blast from the past?  I think it was one of the very few times I ever bought The HORNET comic, and it was mainly because I foolishly believed that observance of this free gift's contents would transform me into the Scottish equivalent of CLARK KENT's alter-ego.  I eagerly anticipated being the envy of my friends and the object of rampant lust amongst the female populace of my town.

Thinking back on it now, there was very little chance that I'd ever be able to swim farther - mainly because I can't swim!  Run faster?  Scratch that one off the list as well.  Jump higher?  Nope!  Box better?  Only if it's putting something in a box.  Come to think of it, I may have a claim against DCT for false advertising, as  I was every bit as much of a wimp at the 'after' stage as I was at the 'before'.

So I was never destined to be a 'Super Boy', but I was a real 'Boy Wonder'.  People used to look at me and wonder if I was a real boy!  (Boom-boom!  The old ones are the best!)
    

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I ve seen that cover before but thought it was a "free" gift or insert - was this an actual book?

For your info as a UK comic collector (any any other locals): I was in the West End (Glasgow) at the weekend and popped into City Centre Comics and picked up a couple of nice early 70s comics - anyway in one of the shops that sells general old stuff (think that's the technical name for it) they had a big batch of 70s Hornets ( and Warlords with a few Lions, Busters etc and lots of Bullets in another (charity) shop on Byres road.

Kid said...

It was a 48 page booklet, McScotty, around A5 size, given away with The Hornet in approximately 1971. Thanks for the info on the comics. I won't be in Glasgow for about another 10 days or so, so they'll probably be gone by then. Hopefully another Scottish Criv-ite can pick up a bargain.



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...