Wednesday 22 March 2017

The MASTERWORKS SERIES Of GREAT COMIC BOOK ARTISTS #3 - BERNIE WRIGHTSON...

Images copyright DC COMICS

Back in the day when BERNIE WRIGHTSON was still spelling his first name as 'Berni' (to avoid confusion with an Olympic swimmer of the same moniker), DC COMICS issued a series entitled The MASTERWORKS SERIES Of GREAT COMIC BOOK ARTISTS.  The 3rd issue was devoted to the art of Berni(e) Wrightson, and I thought, following the recent demise of the artist, that his fans might like to have a look at this comic and perhaps add it to their wants list.

(Ever had that feeling that there's something you should remember, but however hard you try, you just can't?  So it is with this issue.  A still, small, nagging voice seems to be trying to remind me that perhaps I didn't get this comic until a few years after it was published, when I returned to my present home after four years away - but I'm just not sure.  Maybe I actually got it at the time, which means I acquired it in the previous house to this one - I can see either scenario being the case.  I know there's something to be remembered about this mag though, but just can't recall what it is.  Still, I'm glad to have it.)

And now, to you falls the thrill of the hunt as you scour eBay in search of a copy of this 34 year old mag.  If you're a fan of Bernie's art (who isn't?), this is one comic you simply must add to your stash - assuming you don't already have it.  And fear not - I'll get 'round to showing the first two issues (FRANK FRAZETTA) in the series pretty darn soon.

******

Issue #s 4 & 5 (NEAL ADAMS) were advertised on the back cover, but were never published (as far as I know).  The indicia says that the 3 issue series was published by DC for SEA GATE, though comic sites usually say it was published by the latter, who licensed the material from the former.  Sea Gate was a company started by PHIL SEULING, the man credited with starting direct market distribution.
     




2 comments:

paul Mcscotty said...

Brillaint stuff - I don't have that particular comic but I have all the comics these strips originally appeared in - I actually forgot how much I liked Bernies work - its the same with Mike Kaluta for me - as I wasn't a regualr reader of the type of comics their work appeared in (altough I have a few of them).

Kid said...

It's a nice little comic, PM. I heard that there were only three issues, although #s 4 & 5 were advertised on the back cover. Both were devoted to Neal Adams, so if they were never published, that's a bit of a shame.



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...