Sunday 4 October 2015

PART TEN OF THE COMPLETE FANTASTIC FOUR COVER & IMAGE GALLERY...

Images copyright MARVEL COMICS

I remember buying the American ish of the FF (#161) that sported the above cover from a shop in Rutherglen in 1975, the same shop from which my maternal grandfather bought me a little plastic chariot in 1963 or '64.  So whenever I look at that cover, I think of that particular shop.  I wonder if it still exists today, so many years later?  I must find out.

I once possessed all the original U.S. 'modern' issues that were later reprinted in The COMPLETE FANTASTIC FOUR comics you see here, but I'm not sure if I still had them when they showed up again (in b&w) in the British weekly.  (I replaced the U.S. issues years afterwards though.)  It only managed to hang on for 37 issues, but it was one of the better mags from MARVEL U.K. I thought, and deserved a far better fate than was its lot.  Or did you think it was a pile of poo?  Let us all know.

The main attraction for me was the classic '60s content reprinted in the back of the mag.  Early LEE & KIRBY tales are probably what I like best about Marvel, and I find it nigh-impossible to resist new presentations of them whenever they appear today.  Amongst the group of pals that hung out with me in the '70s was a lad called RICKY STEVENSON, aka 'BRITT', who, surprisingly, also bought the Fab Four's comic every week.

I say "surprisingly" because Britt aspired (and failed) to be a bit of a 'hard man', and reading superhero comics didn't really lend itself to that image.  I only recently learned that he died a few years back, and although we were never what could be described as close friends, I find myself rather saddened by the news of his demise.  I suppose that when part of our past disappears, we can't help but feel slightly diminished in some way, odd as it may seem.  An unwelcome reminder of our own mortality perhaps?  Not something we like to think about, is it?

So here's to the FF, the sizzlin' '70s, and also to Ricky.  Whenever I get around to re-reading these comics, I'll be sure to remember him as I recall seemingly happier and more innocent times of my long-gone teenage years.  Feel free to record your own reminiscences, if any, about this great British weekly in the comments section.
        

Here's a dinosaur for PC - just because he likes them











No comments:



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...