Sunday 25 October 2015

FINAL PART (TWELVE) OF CAPTAIN BRITAIN COVER, SPLASH PAGE & IMAGE GALLERY...

Images copyright MARVEL COMICS

It had started with plenty of promise, but waning interest on the part of readers signed the death warrant for CAPTAIN BRITAIN's weekly MARVEL U.K. mag, which ceased publication with issue #39.  The good Captain continued on in the pages of SUPER SPIDER-MAN, presumably because the pages had already been drawn and paid for, but I suspect the strip wasn't too popular and it quietly disappeared after only 23 episodes, the last six being a two issue Spidey & Cap tale from MARVEL TEAM-UP, split into weekly instalments.

And so we come to the end of another slice of the '70s.  Don't despair though, as we still have The SUPER-HEROES cover & image gallery to enjoy, so tune into that, nostalgia fans, when the next part pops up in a post - coming your way soon!























And just to round things off, below is the first issue of the combined title.  This is the very comic that I gave to a friend back in the late '70s or very early '80s, and which I re-acquired from him around a year and a half ago, over 30 years after parting with it.  (Gets you right there, doesn't it?)





10 comments:

Phil said...

Oh Sal Buscema. You of the scowling face. You are one of the few artists where all I have to do is scowl and say- guess which artist I'm imitating! And fans would know.

Kid said...

I think he nicked that from Kirby, Phil. Having said that, a lot of artists nicked things from Kirby.

Anonymous said...

Poor CB, I had every issue and I was sad to see the comic end - I followed the strip into Super Spider-man and read it till the last episode just before Christmas '77. The demise of the CB comic occurred at a big time for me because I was nearly at the end of my days in junior school and in the autumn I was due to begin secondary school which I was quite apprehensive about but it turned out okay. Kid, by showing all these splash pages you really bring back the feel of the comic far more than just showing the covers ever could - if only you could continue with Super Spider-Man & Captain Britain. Don't forget that you still have The Complete FF to finish as well as The Super-Heroes :)

Kid said...

The final part of The Complete FF series is already completed, CJ, and sitting waiting in my draft file. All I have to do is push that 'publish' button and it'll be on view for all to see. First 'though, the next part of the Orion cover gallery (also complete and in my draft file) will be seeing the light of day, so the FF one will probably be after that.

Anonymous said...

Kid, I forgot to mention that I always remembered Pablo Marcos being involved with CB in the final days of the strip but I'd thought he was the artist rather than just the inker - I wonder if he remained as the inker or became the artist later on in SSM & CB. I had to smile at that ad for the newly uprighted Super Spider-man & The Titans - it says "remember the days" when Spider-Man was tall not long - in fact only 16 months had passed since the start of the landscape format or the same distance from today back to June 2014 but back then, when I was eleven, 16 months seemed like a really long time.

Kid said...

Had a quick check, CJ, and noticed that Pablo drew two different episodes on his own. The time thing always amazes me, but when you're younger, it seems to pass at a different rate - and not always a consistent one either. There are only 5 days between Hallowe'en and Guy Fawkes Night, but when I was a kid, it seemed like a huge gulf.

John Pitt said...

I would like to add my thanks to CJ's and reinforce what he said about your showing us all the splash/ puzzle, etc. pages. It's almost like giving us the very comics themselves! Really enjoyed this series!

Kid said...

Click-click-clickety-click, eh, JP?

John Pitt said...

You know me so well!
As I've said before, this is the place for the best quality Comic scans on the web! Your hard work is indeed appreciated!

Kid said...

And your appreciation is much appreciated, JP. Now - get your cheque book out!



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...