Friday, 17 July 2026

CAPTAIN AMERICA'S BICENTENNIAL BATTLES...


Copyright MARVEL COMICS

If you can remember the long hot summer of 1976 then, like me, you're positively ancient.  There was a heatwave that year and I recall seeing waves of steam rising from the tarmacadam roads like a tangible force.  Jack 'King' Kirby had returned to Marvel only the year before after a five year stint at DC, and in '76 he had two new Marvel Treasury Specials on sale.  Namely, Captain America's Bicentennial Battles and 2001: A Space Odyssey.  The two currently in my collection are replacements I acquired a good number of years ago and one glance at them returns me to those days of the mid-'70s in a heartbeat.

It's said you can get too much of a good thing, but I've never let that deter me from buying different printings of the same comics.  Facsimiles, True Believers, collected editions, etc., are a magnetic lure to me I find nigh-impossible to resist.  That's why I recently forked out for a new printing (well, 2021) of Cap's Bicentenial Battles Treasury, plus a Cap America collected volume (2005) containing the same titanic tale (as well as a few other Cap reprints).  The TS is almost the same dimensions as the original, though on better paper, with a deluxe overlapping cover.

The book is around the same dimensions as a standard comic mag (but with more pages obviously) and also contains CA #s 201-205, again on superior paper.  Whoever was responsible for compiling the credits for the front of the book had clearly never heard of Barry Smith, as, presumably having referred to the credits on the tale's splash page where Barry is listed only as B. Smith, appears to have taken a guess and rendered his name as Bob Smith.  (I wonder what Barry would say if he ever finds out.)  Thing is, because the original '76 Treasury is a peculiar size, being presented in a smaller format leaves too large a margin below each page.

The original 1976 Treasury Special

The 'new' Treasury is a very handsome affair and if you're a Captain America or Jack Kirby fan, it's definitely one you should consider adding to your collection - even if you already own its original incarnation as it also features Marvel's Bicentennial Calendar in the back (one month per page).  And just to be complete, below is the cover to Kirby's other '76 Treasury Special - 2001: A Space Odyssey.  If you once had either (or both) of these two publications (or still have them), share your thoughts about them in our comments section.

Copyright relevant owner

******

Afterthought: I re-read my replacement '76 Bicentennial Battles a good number of years ago, so didn't really recall too much about the story.   I therefore started to read my 2021 edition not long after it arrived, but had to do it in instalments as it didn't really grab me.  After some reflection (and in seeming contradiction to what I wrote above), I realised the story isn't actually up to much, being Kirby's 'promotional propaganda pamphlet' for America in its 200th year.  It's mostly a dry read where nothing of significance ever really happens and it's a bit of a plod up to the end of the 'happy-ever-after' tale.

It's at times like this you realise just how much Jack needed Stan Lee to give the dialogue some 'oomph'.  JK tends to tell a tale with captions instead of dialogue, both of which are often stilted and unnatural sounding.  Art-wise, even the Smith-inked pages have a few dodgy panels among the better ones, which are only better because of Smith.  Reading this again made me realise I was immersing myself in memories of my own lost youth of 50 years ago, rather than any literary merit in the way the tale was written, which it doesn't really have.  A series of meaningless random encounters doth not a story make.

However, it's by Kirby, from a time when I thought he could do no wrong, so I'm still glad to have it.  You could say it's a portal into the past as opposed to a great read, but that's good enough for me.  I'm assuming the new edition didn't sell very well as a lot of them available via eBay are remaindered copies - even ones still safely ensconced in their shrink-wrap.  Interestingly, the '70s Fireside Silver Surfer book by Jack & Stan was likewise heavily remaindered, indicating that the King's reign was finally at an end.  

14 comments:

Eddie Calder said...

Two classics from the seventies. It was great to have Jack back at Marvel where he belonged.

baggsey said...

I picked up the recent Treasury reprint edition towards the end of last year. Reading it makes me realise how cynical I've become in the last 50 years! I loved the original Treasury edition, plus the 2001 Treasury (long gone).
Remember how comics had references to the Bi-Centennial all over the place ; these days there is no mention of the current 250th anniversary.

McSCOTTY said...

I never had these 2 Treasury Editions but I did manage to speed read a friend's copy of 2001 which I thought contained some of Kirby's best art. I did pick up a few of the later editions of the ongoing series comic and thought it was pretty decent. The Captain America Treasury never interested me until I read ( on a previous post on here) that Barry Smith inked a few Kirby pages so I may check this out. I never liked Kirby's Captain America art at this time I'm afraid but I did enjoy his Black Panther and Eternals run

Kid said...

Unfortunately, he wasn't back for long before he returned to DC Comics, EC, though he wasn't back there for long either. Sadly, Kirby's 'time in the sun' was over.

Kid said...

I don't buy enough (if any) of today's comics to notice, B, which is pretty sad when I think about it. In the main, they just don't grab me any more.

Kid said...

I considered most of his art at this time to be too cartoonish and uninspired, McS, a poor second (or third) compared to his '60s artwork. Unfortunately, it was to get even worse as the years wore on, but that was mainly due to age and illness. However, these two Specials represent my teenage years to me when I thought I was immortal, and my pals as well. Quite a number of them didn't survive to the present day.

McSCOTTY said...

I always remember picking up an issue of DC Super Powers and was pretty sad to see how poor Kirby's art had become. Great line ". when I thought I was immortal.." I think most of us thought that at that age, how wrong we were

Kid said...

Funnily enough, I was looking through Volume 2 of The Jack Kirby Omnibus yesterday, which reprints 'Super Powers', and was reminded just how awful his art had become, McS. His art on Captain Victory and The Hunger Dogs was also terrible. Yeah, our immortality was an illusion - and a temporary one at that.

baggsey said...

Those final issues of SuperPowers are almost painful to read, Kirby’s art having deteriorated so much. I think it was mostly problems with perspective. I wonder how much we owe to Mike Royer in correcting Kirby’s art latterly as he inked it? The deterioration in the artwork is really shown when Greg Theakston was inking.

Kid said...

There's a question, B, that we may never know the answer to, as Jack once restored a drawing (Via use of a stat) on one of Mike's improvements in a Jimmy Olsen ish. Looking at JK's art now, if it had been corrected, it must've been even worse to begin with than it looked at the printing stage. Even worse than Greg Theakson was Mike Thibbydibbydibbydibbydoo ((Thibodeaux).

Anonymous said...

Archie is marking the occasion. https://store.archiecomics.com/products/archie-comics-celebrates-americas-250th-pre-order-1?srsltid=AfmBOoowWSksIgiqgD6kQ5gpNT1f0ktlVHR-7nDUxOC2I9kLSLaOtRpG

Kid said...

Thanks for the link, Anon, took a look. I think I prefer the Betty & Veronica Swimsuit Special though.

Anonymous said...

Hope you are well Kid.Bought and enjoyed both in 1976.At the time I noticed one inker on Captain America enhanced Jacks artwork to 10 out of 10...Barry Smith.I thought the book would have been even better if he had inked it all!!!

Kid said...

Thanks for asking, TF, could be worse, hope you're well. Yeah, the entire issue inked by Smith would've been something else, eh? One day, someone will probably use AI to produce a comic that looks like it was pencilled by Kirby and inked by Smith. It would be worth seeing.



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...