Here's a trio of goodies you may be interested in, o exalted Crivs, two from Marvel and one from DC. First is The Silver Surfer #5 Facsimile Edition, which I don't really need as I own all 18 original issues, but these facsimiles really float my boat. Disappointingly, 5 'Continued After Next Page' lines are missing from the first half of the mag, though they suddenly appear in the latter half. Most of you won't care about 'trivial' things like that, but I feel their omission detracts from the authentic 'feel' of the period. Issues 6 & 7 are already ordered and paid for, so I'm wishing my life away until their release date. Marvel are only reprinting the first 7, but I hope they may decide to do the remaining 11 issues before too long. What about the rest of you, effendis - you been buying this 'limited series'?
Next, Amazing Spider-Man #14, guest starring The Hulk, though it's the debut of The Green Goblin that really makes this one a 'must have'. Thankfully, the 'Continued After Next Page' taglines are all present so I have nothing much to complain about. Aside, that is, from wishing Marvel would place the barcode on the back cover (like DC now does) and use the same paper as the Distinguished Competition. No, I'm not talking about loo paper, I mean the paper the comics are printed on.
Finally, Batman #156, featuring a character called The Ant-Man, a few years before Marvel's hero of the same name made his first appearance. I remember seeing this cover reproduced in Batman From the '30s To The '70s back in 1972 (in a shop named W. & R. Holmes), so it's finally good to read the contents, a mere 54 years later. (If you live long enough, everything will eventually come your way.) Okay, Crivs, any of these three titles grab you by the short and curlies, and if so, is there one you really can't resist? Tell your fellow readers in the comments section, then rush out and buy it. In fact, buy all three!



6 comments:
I've been picking up the Silver Surfer facsimilies up until now ( number 4 with Thor is a balter) but I may not get this one as I have an original (albeit tatty,) version. I would love Marvel to reprint issue 8 onwards especially #11. The Spider-Man issue looks interesting so I might get that one .
You should go for all 7, McS, 'cos you'll only regret it later if you don't. Then, If Marvel reprint #8 onwards, you'll have a full set of Silver Surfers. The Spidey one is good, 'cos it contains one of The Hulk's appearances after his own 6 issue mag ended.
I remember that issue from an early SMCW . I will probably pick up the Surfer issue but I am trying to cut back ( very unsuccessfully) on new purchases but I have seen loads of great comics in sales and charity shops recently .
Stop wasting your money on foreign holidays, McS, and spend it on comics instead. Remember, a comic is forever - if you look after it properly. Incidentally, SS # 5 is a great story - as you'll know seeing as how you have an original ish.
Much as I'd like to rush out and buy the Silver Surfer issues I can't find them over here in Australia for less that $20 (with postage factored in) and I can't afford to pat that price for a comic, great though they are. If I collected the first 6 or 7 issues, which was my plan, I'd be up for over $100. And as I've mentioned more times than I can recall there seems like we won't get an Epic Collection of these issues, for reasons unknown to us mere mortals, this was my last chance to get hold of these classics. Another of life's disappointments I guess. Sucks to be a collector sometimes.
Just had a look on eBay on your behalf, PC, but the collected editions (Marvel Masterworks) all seem hideously expensive. I'd like an Epic Collection of SS myself, so I hope they get around to doing one eventually. I should have a spare copy of #1 (facsimile), and if I have and can recall where I stashed it, I'll send it to you as a gift. I think it's got a little bit of 'colour-lift' on the cover, but nothing too extreme. (Email your address to me again.)
Post a Comment