Friday 26 February 2021

DC'S 'GREATEST STORIES EVER TOLD' COLLECTED EDITIONS COVER GALLERY...

Copyright DC COMICS

Having mentioned them in the previous post, I thought it would be a good idea to show you the actual covers to the Superman and Batman collected editions from the late '80s.  Then I thought it would be an even better idea to show you the covers of whatever DC Comics hardcover collections in the 'greatest' series that were to hand, so hopefully you'll consider them a visual treat and appreciate all the hard work I put into scanning them - just for you!

Regarding the deluxe edition of The Joker volume, I do actually have the regular dustjacketed edition, but it's tucked away somewhere and I've no idea where to even start looking for it, so I'll add it a later date.  Perhaps I should do a Marvel collected editions cover gallery next, but that'll all depend on what response I get to this one.  Over to you, cavortin' Crivvies - how do these books grab you?











The back of the two deluxe editions are blank so no point showing them

This volume is separate from the 'greatest stories ever told' series, but it goes so well
with the above one that I just had to include it

8 comments:

Phil S said...

Love these collections but . If I never read another Joker story I will be happy . He’s so over used.

Kid said...

The price of popularity, alas, PS. Who would you say is the best villain for Batman other than the Joker?

McSCOTTY said...

The 1950s cover is a cracker lovely art and nice to see Sugar and Spike. I'm with Phil the Joker is over used. My favourite Batman villain is probably Ra's Al Ghuk mostly based on the Neal Adams 1970s drawn tales although I love the original Harley Quin from the animated comic (only) the regular book character is another one that's over used and has become ridiculous (imho) ooh I also like Hugo Strange.

Kid said...

I prefer Hugo when he's normal, McS. (Ho ho.)

Dave S said...

I had the Batman volume at one point-bought it in a bargain bookshop in Gordon Street in Glasgow right opposite where the Blue Lagoon chippy now is. I don't think that bookshop was a particularly longlived shop, but I vividly remember seeing a paperback book called Car Wars: Fuel's Gold which at the time seemed like the greatest, wittiest pun I'd ever heard.

Kid said...

I bought a couple of other books in a bookshop in that same street, DS, but further along from The Blue Lagoon, not straight opposite - The Works, was it? One of my favourite bookshops was Grant's (or Grants), just around the corner from the BL, next to the steps up into the station - was sad when it closed.

Phil S said...

I actually like Two-Face but I am partial to throw away characters who can be used once to meet a suitable ending to a story. Almost all the Batcave's most famous trophies came from one off villains and for some strange reason one of my favorite stories was the voyage of the Batmarine and I can't even remember who the villain was because the important part was how Batman could fight crime from underwater. But my actual favorite villain was the Wrath who only appeared once and was Batman's evil counterpart. A crook whose father was killed by a cop and became the criminal version of Batman vowing to fight against justice and the law.

Kid said...

I wouldn't even know where to start in choosing a favourite Batman villain, PS, because practically all of them do nothing for me. They're just there to serve the purpose of a story. Maybe Bats should just stick to fighting ordinary crooks instead of his usual rogues gallery? I preferred Batman when he was more of a detective than a dark, 'creature of the night' psycho.



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...