Thursday 25 September 2014

THE COMPLETE FANTASTIC FOUR COVER & IMAGE GALLERY - PART FIVE...

Images copyright MARVEL COMICS

Y'know, I almost feel envious of those of you who haven't seen these captivating covers and pulsating pages before.  For you, the thrill of being presented with some iconic images for the first time; for me, the pleasant sensation of having some magical memories stirred, like ripples in a stream when a pebble is tossed in.  As to which is the greater experience is open to question I suppose, but first impressions are usually the most vivid.  

Anyway, that's enough of my philosophical speculations, let's turn our attention to the fifth instalment in this series of The COMPLETE FANTASTIC FOUR, one of MARVEL U.K.'s better weekly comics from the 1970s.  The main attraction for me was the reprints of LEE & KIRBY's classic tales from the '60s, but I also enjoyed the later stories, some of which I'd read before in their full-colour American mags.

If you have any recollections of these particular issues, you can reminisce to your heart's content in our Crivens comments section.  Go on, jump right in - it's good to share!  And remember to return for part six in this super series of pulse-pounding picture-presentations.


When this page appeared in MWOM in 1972, it was renamed "Attack of the Deadly Duo!"



This has got to be one of my all-time fave FF stories - love it!



When I first read this part of the tale in Wham! back in 1967, I used to place the comic (open
at this page) on the floor next to my chair as I sat and had my dinner, totally transfixed by the
stunning Sue Storm.  Yes, you're right - what a furtive little perv was I!
 

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Those first two issues are my favourite in the entire run of Complete FF because they remind me of Christmas and not any old Christmas but the first one in comprehensive school - I got No.14 on the very day we started the Xmas holidays. I remember that on TV that night was the second (and final) part of the BBC adaptation of Dracula with Louis Jourdan as Drac and Frank Finlay as Van Helsing - did you ever see that, Kid ? I also liked No.13 and No.14 of Complete FF because of the art by Ross Andru and the cover of No.13 is terrific (by Gil Kane of course). Unfortunately No.15 was back to Rich Buckler-does-Jack Kirby. I read all these FF stories a few years ago in a Marvel Essentials volume.

Kid said...

Indeed I do remember Dracula with Louis Jordan. Sue Vanner was one of the three vampire ladies, if I recall correctly. She was also in the pre-credits sequence of The Spy Who Loved Me. Funnily enough 'though, I don't think of the 3 part adaptation and the Complete FF as being from the same year, although I do know it was first shown in the '70s, which is when I saw it. So, thanks for reminding me that the BBC Dracula and the FF comic were contemporaries of each other.

Anonymous said...

Was the BBC Dracula in 3 parts - I thought it was 2 parts. Anyway I'm certain it was December 1977 - I still remember the excitement of breaking up for the hols which was a Thursday (Dec 22nd) and Thursdays was when I got my weekly Marvels so it seemed like a perfect day what with the final part of Dracula on TV as well. That BBC Dracula was repeated in about 1993 when I saw it again and also released on DVD in 2007 bit I couldn't find it in the Virgin megastore when I looked. By the way, Kid, you're probably bored with the referendum but on Radio 4 tonight at 8pm there's a programme about how Stirling voted and why - I'll be listening anyway, it could be quite interesting.

Kid said...

First shown on December 22nd 1977 in its 155 minute entirety. Repeated in 3 parts in 1979 on January 2nd and again in December. It was repeated in 2 parts in April 1993.

That's why I don't associate it with the Complete FF - I didn't see it on its first transmission in 1977. I must have seen it in 1979, which, on reflection, seems about right. Perhaps you saw it again in 1993, when it was shown in 2 parts.

karl said...

I love these old British weeklies, and the prospect of having the FF every week was delightful. The black and white pages just showed up the wonderful line art without the colour of the American versions bleeding thru and obscuring everything. And yeah I have every issue in my FF collection!

Kid said...

One drawback 'though, Karl, was that some of the linework had dropped out in places and been retouched by less than skilful hands. That apart, a great little mag.

Anonymous said...

Kid, isn't memory strange - I remembered the exact date of Dracula's original broadcast but I had completely forgotten it was shown as a single drama, all these years I was certain it was in 2 parts. And the entire thing is available to watch on Youtube which I will definitely be doing as I haven't seen it since that 1993 broadcast. I read the original novel earlier this year as well so I can compare the two. Another programme I was 100 per cent certain I'd watched in the autumn of 1977 was "Flambards" set in the First World War but when I looked for it on Wikipedia I was stunned that it said Flambards was first broadcast in 1979 - I'm so certain I'm right that I think the Wikipedia entry must be mistaken - Flambards was an ITV show which meant there was regional variation so perhaps in some parts it wasn't seen till 1979 but I'm positive I watched it on Friday nights in 13 parts from September to December 1977.

Kid said...

I think what happens is that similar memories tend to get mixed together in our minds and that's what leads to the confusion. I gave an example of this recently in my Favourite Comics of the Past posts - parts 30 & 31.

John Pitt said...

I am one of those who fall into the " seeing for the first time " category for most of these issues. I did have one or two issues, the same with the Avengers weekly, but I can see just how good this weekly was, - far superior to the 1980's FF weekly.
So I am following this series with great interest.

Kid said...

Like you, I thought that the '80s FF comic from Marvel U.K. was a damp squib, JP. I much preferred the Complete FF.

John Pitt said...

It looks to me though in picture 3, panel 3, that your favourite Sue Storm piccie has been cropped!

Kid said...

Picture 3 hasn't been cropped, JP, but pic 1 has, to make room for the new banner at the top of the page.



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...