Tuesday 3 November 2015

THE ADVENTURES OF SUPERMAN COVER GALLERY - PART ONE...

Images copyright DC COMICS

In the wake of DC COMICS' 1986 12 issue maxi-series, CRISIS On INFINITE EARTHS, SUPERMAN was given a new comic mag (starting from #1) and his original solo title was rechristened The ADVENTURES Of SUPERMAN, continuing the numbering of the mag which had first appeared back in 1939.

Looking at these covers now, two things occur to me: The first is just what a brilliant artist JERRY ORDWAY is, and the second is that, when we move from a house, we never truly leave it behind, continuing to inhabit it in our memories and dreams forever after.  One look at these covers (especially the above one) and I'm once again back in my room of the house I left nearly 30 years ago, with everything exactly as it was when I lived there.

Another thing that strikes me is just how criminal it is that Jerry Ordway's art appears to be missing from mainstream comics these days.  Why is he not illustrating the top MARVEL and DC comicbooks as he once did?  Clear storytelling, dynamic action, and powerful perspectives surely haven't gone out of fashion, so I'm at a complete loss to understand why Jerry apparently is no longer courted by the top two companies in the biz.

The link to Jerry's blog is in my blog-list, so check it out when you get a moment.  In fact, scratch that - make a point of paying it a visit as soon as possible and leaving a comment saying how much you appreciate his contribution to the world of comics over the years.  First though, savour the supreme sublimity of the captivating covers in this pulse-pounding post.

And feel free to leave a comment on this blog as well.





2 comments:

Dave S said...

That's a run of beautifully drawn, but seriously dull comics!

Mr Ordway is one of the all-time greats but sadly Mr Wolfman (in my opinion, anyway) wasn't at his best then...

Kid said...

I thought they were all right at the time, DS, but that's over 30 years ago now, so I'd have to read them again to see what I think of them nowadays.



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...