Saturday 28 November 2015

SUPERGIRL - ADVENTURE COMICS COVER & SPLASH PAGE GALLERY...

Images copyright DC COMICS

Y'know, for someone who claims to be a comics collector, I'm sometimes surprised by how few issues I have of some particular titles.  For example, the 5 covers you see before you are all the ADVENTURE COMICS I own - and I don't do too much better in the SUPERBOY stakes either.  I may have related this tale before, but I used to have a bit of a crush on SUPERGIRL (still do actually - do you blame me?), as did one of my pals, JOHN FIDLER, who was ROBIN to my BATMAN when we were kids.

We were sitting in the doorway of my back garden cellar one day, looking through my comics, and John pointed to Supergirl's bosom and said "I like these bits!".  I agreed, and we then decided to create a Super-potion when we grew up - not for ourselves, but to bestow on a couple of Supergirl lookalikes so that we could each have a Super girlfriend of our very own.  Ah, the innocence of youth, eh?  Or, what a pair of pillocks!  You decide.

Anyway, that's enough of embarrassing reminiscences from my boyhood, time now to enjoy these Super covers and splash pages.  Got a favourite?  Be sure to share it with your fellow Criv-ites.














12 comments:

Phil said...

I do love Supergirl as drawn by Swan or Mooney or Schaffenberger. Particularly Swan. The stories were loony but I just loved the art.

GOODSTUFF said...

This issue is all about preserving the essence of Supergirl... For art and science!
http://goodstuffsworld.blogspot.com/2015/04/goodstuffs-blogging-magazine-185th-issue.html

BTW - will link to you this coming Friday

DeadSpiderEye said...

The artwork is decent, figure work wise anyway, some of the composition is slightly awkward, that first train and the castle scene are little weak. Mind you that castle scene would've been tough to render, I think I would've kicked back a bit with the script writer. That monster, I know how he feels, things aren't going great with a girl, so you tie her up with steel railway lines, you know see if she'll go for the kinky stuff. Also the Supergirl costume would come in handy for my suggestion for Linda's summer job in Metropolis.

Kid said...

And don't forget Anderson, Phil, who drew these covers, I think.

******

Will take a look at your link, GS, ta much.

******

When it comes to figure work on these pages, DSE, I only have eyes for one - Supergirl's.

Phil said...

And here's the crazy reason she'll be sorry dating that boy .http://goodcomics.comicbookresources.com/2012/02/09/i-love-ya-but-you’re-strange-that-time-that-supergirls-man-of-her-dreams-was-a-woman/
Crazy DC stories? Who said Marvel had all the cutting edge stuff!

Kid said...

That's interesting, Phil. Touched on that aspect in my 'O, Merry Maid Of Might, Please won't You Marry Me?' post, without ever having read the one at the other end of your link - until now, that is. Now go and drop a few links to my blog on some of those other ones you visit - spread the word.

John Pitt said...

When I started buying DC comics Supergirl was the back up story in Action Comics. The LOSH was the lead strip in Adventure. I missed a few years in the 70s when she went over to Adventure, the LOSH joined Superboy and she got her own title.
The next time I saw her was in the Superman Family and then in the 80s with the Daring New Adventures Of Supergirl and tbe movie adaptation.
I think that today she fights crime in a thong!!

Kid said...

In a thong? Must keep an eye out for that. I no longer know which Supergirl it is these days - is it Kara from Argo City or some other?

John Pitt said...

Beats me, Kid. I don't know who ANYBODY in DC/Marvel today is!!

Kid said...

Welcome to the club. And it gets bigger with each unnecessary change they make.

John Pitt said...

http://www.comics.org/issue/1161223/cover/4/
!!!!

Kid said...

Nice. I would.



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...