Sunday 29 November 2015

SPOT THE CLUE WITH ZIP NOLAN...


Copyright relevant owner

I never really bought LION comic (occasional issues apart, maybe) 'til THUNDER weekly was merged with it, but I'd certainly read a few issues belonging to pals as I was aware of its most popular strips.  (ROBOT ARCHIE, The STEEL CLAW, The SPIDER, and of course, ZIP NOLAN.  (I'd better give MOWSER a mention as well, 'cos you know how temperamental he is.)

This strip appeared in the 1971 LION & THUNDER Holiday Special, but is undoubtedly a reprint from a '60s ish of Lion weekly.  Not that it matters, because if you haven't seen it before, it's new to you.  Well, can you spot the clue before it's revealed?

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Lion was one of my favourite UK traditional comics as a kid (probably just after Smash but up there with Valiant & and Buster)and I got it most weeks. It had so many great strips and Zip Nolan was a favourite of mine (although Carsons Cubs annoyed me despite me being a massive football fan). Lion did a few excellent serials like "Beware the White Eyes" that I loved and they teamed up some characters from time to time that was always a treat.

Kid said...

I've got a notion that 'Beware the White Eyes' may have been reprinted at some stage, either in a later combined Lion or another comic, McS. That's because I seem to remember it, which I probably wouldn't have done unless I'd read it regularly somewhere. Although wasn't there a 'Return of the White Eyes'? If so, maybe that's what I remember.

Unknown said...

Yes there were a couple of follow ups and one was indeed called "Beware the White Eyes" (there was also "Watch out for the White eyes" and the "White Eyes strike again") I think the strip came out inth elate 60s and ran until the mid 70s.

They also teamed up Ezra Creech (the villian in "White-Eyes") with Professor Krait (from the strip "Shadow of the Snake") that both appeared in Lion, in a new serial called "Masters of Evil" - all great stuff that strip really stuck with me.

Kid said...

Ah, right. (I was too lazy to Google it.) I've got a feeling one of those strips is in an Annual of mine, 'cos I know I've seen one of them somewhere.



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...