First of all, I should point out that these aren't 'book and record' sets, it's just the way I've laid them out. The records are separate entities from the comicbooks, none of which were released as a pair. Having said that, as they were manufactured a good many years before DVDs, you'd have thought (I'm tempted to type 'thunk') someone would've come up with the idea to release the LP soundtracks and their equivalent comics together, eh? Sure seems like a good idea to me.
Speaking of DVDs, I've actually got both movies on disc, having seen Yogi's, not in the cinema, but on TV many years (decades probably) later. Fred's film I saw in my local cinema (now a Bingo hall), either towards the end of 1972 or sometime in 1973, as the 'support act' for Living Free, the sequel to Born Free. I went to see it (didn't bother with the main film after the first time) so often that when I took a chum, the manager (Bob Johnstone) let him in for free.
Anyway, I'm glad to have these two double examples of movie merchandise, so I thought I'd share them with you here. Ain't that considerate of me? Hello, anybody there? (And perhaps I should mention that these two films were actually produced for release on the big screen back in the '60s, they weren't TV films pressed into service for a cinematic outing.) Any of you Crivvies seen either of these two animated productions? If so, what did you think of them at the time? Do tell.


16 comments:
I have both of these films on blu-ray but haven't watched them yet. I'm sure I've seen them before but not for over 40 years or more. Must put them on my watch list.
.
I've got them on DVD, and have watched the Flintstones one a few times over the years, but the last time I saw Yogi's film was on TV around 35 years back. How time flies, eh?
I think n"A man called Flintstone" may have been on TV recently but I only briefly scanned it. As a kid I lovex Yogi Bear so although I didn't see this at the cinema if it was on TV I'm pretty sure I watched it. The comic books look pretty nice , Gold Key usually had good cartoonists on their humour comics.
I'm a BIG Yogi Bear fan, McS, as he's probably (along with The Flinstones) the earliest TV cartoon character I remember from my childhood. I thought the live-action CGI movie from a few years back was excellent and there was talk of a sequel, which hasn't materialised yet. I'll have to think about getting some more Gold Key and Dell comics because, as you say, they had some great cartoonists.
I got the live action Yogi film on DVD and I thought it was really well done. As a child my favourite U.S comics were those mid 1960s Dell/Gold Key Yogi and Looney Tunes type comics. I spend hours copying them trying to get Yogis ears right, simple fun days . Do you know if they make these cartoons and comics anymore?
I think the cartoons are still made from time-to-time, McS, but most of the HB characters have had a makeover, with one of them having a gender-change as well. As for the comics, I don't know of any current ones, but usually some company has a go at reviving them every-now-and-again, though not with any long-term success.
I only know Yogi and The Flintstones from the cartoons on TV and I've never seen the films.
There were two cinemas to choose from when I was a kid but one of them is now a pool hall which is rather ironic because the building was originally a meeting hall for the temperance movement in the 19th Century and they probably wouldn't approve of its' current use. The other cinema was demolished over a decade ago and a large plaza now occupies the site.
Does that mean there's now no longer a cinema in your town, CJ? Mine has an 8-screen (might be 9) cinema that's been operating for the last - oh, I dunno - 30-35 years or so.
Yes, there is a cinema, Kid - in a "leisure village" (the same place I got my Covid vaccine jabs).
Ever been in to see a movie, CJ? If so, which one was it?
The last film I saw at the cinema was Robin Hood: Prince Of Thieves in 1991.
So that wasn't in the 'leisure village' cinema, but in one of the other two, now non-existent ones? I think the last time I saw a movie in a cinema was Spectre, with the late Moonmando. Neither of us were impressed and when it became available on Blu-ray, Moony borrowed it from his son and we both watched it again. The two of us fell asleep through it.
Kid, I watched the Robin Hood film in a different town but I can't remember exactly where!
Nottingham perchance?
Ha! No, it was definitely in South Wales.
Close enough.
Post a Comment