![]() |
| Copyright MARVEL COMICS |
Saturday 30th September 1972 was an eventful day for British fans of Marvel Comics, as that was the day The Mighty World Of Marvel - or MWOM - was launched. A weekly comic with a mixture of full colour and spot colour pages (the full colour pages increased to 8 with issue 5), the first 30 or so issues having a magical quality to them that later issues couldn't quite match - mainly because there was something special about those early tales.
I was already familiar with the stories from the days of the '60s Power Comics, but they'd all been reprinted in b&W and in different dimensions to their original US presentations, so to see the tales closer to how they'd originally appeared was a treat to the 14-year-old me, and I'm sure other kids of a similar age felt the same. It's a safe bet that many of today's Merry, Maniacal Marvel fans became so with the inaugral ish of this gaily-coloured comic.
Anyway, today is 54 years since Marvel UK burst onto the scene, so what follows is a selection of images from that classic 1st issue from all those years ago. Sure, you've seen 'em all before on Crivens, but I couldn't let the big day pass without celebrating. Anyway, feel free to wax lyrical in the comments section if you were around back then - or even if you weren't.
%20a.jpg)
%20f.jpg)
b.jpg)
%20d.jpg)
%20e.jpg)

%20g.jpg)
%20h.jpg)

4 comments:
I still vividly remember seeing the first issue of MWOM is R S McColls in Rutherglen Main street at lunchtime during school break. I can't believe that was 54 years ago though.
Yeah, I know - just where did the time go, McS? I was in Glasgow with my parents that day. Saw the comic in an exterior rack on a newsagent's wall at the side of the entrance, but they wouldn't buy it for me. We went to the Barras (just along from the newsagent's) and my parents bought me a black anarok and, I think, a black pair of trousers (or shoes or plimsolls), and they bought me the comic on the way back along the road. Sadly, the row of shops that housed the newsagent's is no longer there, having been demolished quite a number of years/decades ago.
As you know, Kid, my first Marvel comic was POTA No.5 and until I discovered your blog I'd assumed that MWOM No.1 was the first ever appearance of Marvel characters in a British comic. I'd also assumed that Captain Britain No.1 was the first Marvel UK comic to feature colour pages so it was quite a revelation to discover the truth in both cases!
Have you heard that Esther Rantzen has died?
I saw it mentioned as I was signing in, CJ. That's life, eh? Incidentally, a post on Captain Britain's 50th is already written and waiting in my Draft file.
Post a Comment