Sad to learn that Dolly Parton has died at the age of 80. A true legend and, what's more, a genuinely nice person as well. I saw a TV show of one of her concerts once, and some guy in the audience called out "I love you, Dolly!" Quick as a flash, she shot back with "I told you to wait in the truck!" Brilliant retort. She was talented, witty, and beautiful. Condolences to her family, friends, and fans.

6 comments:
Very sad. Country music isn't really my type of music ( bar a few exceptions) but there is no denying she was a massive talent , amazing songwriter and a true icon. More importantly by all accounts despite her deva status she seems to have been a genuinely kind and nice person.
Believe it or not, McS, I don't regard myself as a C&W fan either, though I like some songs by different artists. (Jim Reeves, though he started as a raw C&W singer, became more of a velvety balladeer-type of vocalist.) Same with Dolly; I've got a few CDs and singles, but I'm not mad about the majority of her output, just a few songs. Certainly not a diva and ploughed loads of dosh into worthy causes.
Can’t add more to what you and McScotty have said, Kid. Came across as a lovely, kind, shrewd person and humanitarian. Very sad.
Hard to believe she's now gone, B, though I imagine there'll be a few unreleased songs that'll see the light of day in the future. I plan to play a CD or two in the next couple of days to celebrate her contributions to the music industry.
I heard 'Jolene' in Tesco just a few days ago. She also wrote 'I Will Always Love You' which was a massive hit for Whitney Houston (14 weeks at No.1 in the UK). She also wrote 'Love Is Like A Butterfly' which was used as the theme-song for the BBC comedy series Butterflies starring Wendy Craig. Dolly created the Dollywood theme park to bring employment to the area where she grew up unlike most celebrities who don't give a sh*t about where they came from.
Always liked Love Is Like A Butterfly, CJ. So, was Jolene calling out to you from across the aisles? I didn't know you knew her. Or is she just a noisy shopper?
Post a Comment