Saturday 3 July 2021

LET SLEEPING BOMBS LIE...? (UPDATED)


Copyright relevant owner

Received the above first edition paperback yesterday (Friday) after buying it on Amazon a few days ago.  It was first published in 1970 and then, in 1972, was given away in parts as a free gift over a number of issues in a magazine called Target by the New English Library.  It then fell to the readers to combine all the parts into one, trim it, and then read the completed result - if they hadn't already devoured each segment as it appeared.  I dutifully combined the various parts, but if I ever actually read it, I can remember absolutely nothing about it.

I managed to replace my Target #1 close to a couple of years back, but it didn't have the free gift, seen in the last picture below.  (Borrowed the image from somewhere, forget where.)  Anyway, I decided to track down the novel, which is a thin affair, and once I've read it (not sure when I'll get around to it) I'll have reconnected to an aspect of my past from 49 years ago, something I always enjoy doing when it comes to books, toys, records, and comics.

The middle picture of the three below is a scan of the comic's cover from my very own issue.  Did any of you Crivvies read the free gift novel back in '72, and if so, what do you remember about it - if anything?  Am I wasting my time in planning to read it, or was it an absolute belter of a book?  Make your impressions known!

******

Update: I've now read the book and much of it seems familiar, so it's extremely likely I've read at least several chapters given away with Target back in 1972.  I've also acquired a superior condition copy and replaced the previous image of its cover with a better one, as well as the back cover.



4 comments:

Standby4action said...

I remember buying Target #1. I remember the sea monkeys. I remember the intriguing cover for "The Sleeping Bomb". Did I read it? No idea. But thanks for reminding me, I've forgotten more than I remember!~Norman

Kid said...

I think that's probably true for most of us, Norman - whether we believe so or not. Even me, who used to be able to pride myself on my memory, has probably forgotten more than I can recall. Once I start reading this book, then maybe I'll remember whether I've done so before or not. Only time will tell.

Norman Boyd said...

I suspect what might have attracted me to reading it were films like "On the beach" and "Around the world, under the sea". But here too my memory might be playing with me!~Norman

Kid said...

If I ever read it back then, it would purely have been because it was a free book. You know what we Scots are like. (Is that racist? Ach, who cares!)



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...