Monday 9 November 2015

SO, CRIVVIES - WHAT'S BIG AND GREEN AND LOOKS LIKE A NUMBER 2?


Back around 1966/'67 (possibly '68), I was on a day trip to Ayr with my family when I saw a boy running around on the grass near the seafront witha toy THUNDERBIRD 2.  It was the CENTURY 21 (J. ROSENTHAL) model and I wanted it.  Asking the lad where he'd acquired it, he pointed to a shop on the street, and my mother bought me my very own.  Now, don't get the impression I was spoilt (despite being run over by a steamroller) - the times I was told "No!" far outnumbered the occasions my parents acquiesced to my requests.

I remember taking it into school one day and the teacher allowing me to display it on top of the floor cupboard next to the blackboard - I felt immensely proud of my TB2 and thought the world of it.  It's therefore a surprise to me that I can no longer recollect its precise fate.  It probably got broken over time and eventually discarded, but whether I threw it out or my mother did on one of her routine 'clean-ups', I no longer recall.

I've not yet got around to replacing it, but I did buy the MATCHBOX and VIVID IMAGINATIONS TB2s when they came out, purely because they reminded me of the one I'd had as a kid.  I even bought a jeep (not pictured) to put in the pod, as that was what my childhood toy had instead of a TB4.  Anyway, because the 'modern' versions (playsets) are such great items in their own right, I'd thought I'd show them here for all you lovers of super things to enjoy.  Ain't I kind?

Did any of you have the Century 21 toy as a kid?  Then sing its praises in our comments section.






Update: Well, whaddya know, I finally managed to obtain a replacement for my original JR21 TB2, so cop a curious gander at it in the pulsating piccies below.  Great, innit?  Unfortunately, it didn't have the jeep (I'll track one down later), so I've substituted a TB4 given away with KELLOGG'S SUGAR SMACKS back in the '60s.  Actually, it looks better, but the jeep would still be nice to have.






And below is a 'stand-in' jeep, not an original.  Hopefully, I'll be able to track one down before too long.

And whaddya know - I did.  That's it below.


8 comments:

Phil said...

We most definitely had TB2. Alas it is long disappeared along with the Napoleon Solo doll. And the Batman cape. Captain Scarlet's car survived though. I don't know how since I took it apart with a screwdriver and reassembled it.

Kid said...

I had Napoleon and Ilya articulated figures (at different times) when I was a kid, Phil, but they were really cheap versions. Wish I had all my toys back again.

Philip Crawley said...

My brother had an SPV (Spectrum Pursuit Vehicle) from Captain Scarlet complete with missile launcher, while I had the Captain's sporty car. Looked futuristic at the time but would probably be labelled 'retro' now. I'm sure I still have it somewhere but period searches in pursuit (of the Spectrum vehicle, see what I did there?, oh well) have failed to bring it to light. May have another look this weekend come to think of it. TB2 was always my fave of the Thunderbird vehicles. I'll track one down on eBay next time some stray cash comes my way. As if.

Kid said...

That'll be the Dinky toys you're talking about, PC, I suppose. Got the full set. Corgi did their own versions a few short years ago, which were very nice. Got them too.

John Pitt said...

We're different pods available, or only pod 4? I liked the mole as well.
I didn't have any of the TB's, but my brother had a SPV and a SPC.

Kid said...

The Vivid Imaginations' pod had no number on it, JP, so it could carry any vehicle. VI sold a few separately, I believe. With the original Century 21 toy from the '60s, the pod came either with TB4 or a jeep.

Kid said...

And it may sometimes have come with The Mole, I think.

Kid said...

To clarify, I'd read somewhere that it might sometimes have come with a TB4, but I've since read elsewhere that it didn't, so I don't quite know whether it did or not. Not that it matters, 'cos mine now does (until I get the jeep).



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...