Friday 14 August 2015

MARVEL'S THE SUPER-HEROES COVER & IMAGE GALLERY - PART THREE...

Images copyright MARVEL COMICS

Time now for another look at The SUPER-HEROES, MARVEL U.K.'s mid-'70s weekly periodical featuring The SILVER SURFER and The X-MEN.  The Surfer would be replaced once his limited run of adventures had run their course, but let's not get ahead of ourselves.  Because of the inclusion of the original X-Men, TSH reminded me of 1960s comic FANTASTIC, which was apt considering that former ODHAMS PRESS editor ALF WALLACE was then currently working for Marvel U.K.  (Must've loved superheroes, eh?)

So let's wallow in the rosy glow of the past once more, as we turn back the clock 40 years to the 1970s and let a plethora of pulsating piccies wash over us, reminding us of how good it was to be young and alive, with our un-guessed at futures yet before us.  Ah, happy days indeed.  C'mon, jump in - the water's lovely.





















8 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's fascinating to see the adverts too, Kid - it really brings back the feel of the time. I can't remember the Spider-Man patch at all but I was reading Marvel at this time so I don't know why I've forgotten it - by contrast I remember the MWOM/Hulk patch very well. The last pic made me smile as I was insanely excited about the upcoming Marvel adaptation of 'Beneath the Planet Of The Apes' - it was trailed for weeks beforehand in POTA. And around this time I also saw 'Beneath' at the cinema in a double-bill with 'Battle For The Planet Of The Apes' - as an apes nut it was awesome to see the apes on the big screen. Do you remember the Marvel badges that were advertised on the back of the weeklies in January 1975 ? There were about eight of them, it would be great to see them again. Although at the time I'd only recently started reading Marvel and that was only POTA so I didn't actually know who characters like the Thing, Black Widow, Dr. Strange and Conan were (as I recall they were all on the badges).

Kid said...

I seem to vaguely recall them, CJ, but I'll have to look through my back issues again at some stage and see if I can spot the ads. By the way, I specifically included that last image because I knew you'd like it. The only 'Apes' movie I've ever seen on the big screen is the Tim Burton one. I've got all the original movies in a DVD boxed set 'though.

John Pitt said...

A big thanks from me too for that POTA back page. I've been after all the Apes back pages from OTHER Marvel UK comics for some time now.. I may have missed a few on release or accidently sold some issues. The problem is identifying which comics they actually appeared on!

Kid said...

Nae bother, JP. There may be more to come, but I won't know 'til I dig out the comics to scan them.

Phil said...

Dark they were and golden eyed. I used to go there!

John Pitt said...

If you spot any more Apes back covers, I'd love to see them. I'm sure Col would too!

Kid said...

I knew someone would recognize the name, Phil. That's why I included that page. I remember seeing them advertised in Marvel U.K. mags. Didn't Brian Bollen draw one of their ads, or was that for Maya Merchandising?

******

If I do, you will, Phil - and CJ too.

Kid said...

Oops, I meant Brian Bolland in my above reply, not Bollen.



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...