Saturday, 7 April 2012

THE RINKY-DINK PANTHER...



A couple of months back, I took my DINKY PINK PANTHER
car off display, put it back in its box and tucked it away in a cupboard.
Remember the one with the big black rubber wheel in the middle of the
chassis? You pulled a plastic strap through it, causing the wheel to spin
at great speed, placed it on the ground and watched it disappear into
the distant horizon - or against a wall with maximum force.


Yeah, that's the one. There were other cars with the same feature
of course, but the Panther-mobile (if that's what it's called) is the one
that everyone of a certain age seems to recall. Anyway, I'm not making
a mess of my room by dragging everything out of the cupboard to find
it, so, until I do, in the meantime you'll have to be content with the Mark
II version. (In case you're wondering, I stashed the original because I
was worried about that big rubber wheel deteriorating in the arctic
conditions of my room - the rubber arms of my MATT MASON
MOON SUIT suffered just such an inglorious fate.)


The first version of the car was made by Dinky which, as most of
you will know, was a MECCANO company, and it appeared in toy-
shops sometime around 1972. At some stage in time, Meccano and
Dinky parted company, so when the second version of the car appeared
around 1979-ish (I think), it no longer bore the Dinky name on the base
 but rather that of its once-parent company - Meccano. The mould had
been altered to remove the large wheel from the centre of the car and
the car itself, as well as the Pink Panther driver, were in a lighter
shade of pink than Mark I had been.


So, until I get back into that cupboard, here's the slightly more
aesthetically-pleasing model for your eager eyes. I've still got the
bubble-card package it came in, but that's in the cupboard along with
the other car, so you'll have to live without it for now. CORGI TOYS
also produced a Pink Panther item - Panther on a motorbike - I'd
have shown it here, but guess where it is?

Right first time. 

No comments: