Wednesday 13 August 2014

'THE BEST OF' - IPC/FLEETWAY COMIC MONTHLIES...


Copyright REBELLION

A while back, I started to scan some of the covers of various IPC/FLEETWAY comic monthlies, meaning to do a post on them.  Never finished any more than seven issues, so rather than have them languishing in limbo (my cupboard), I thought I'd just show them here.  Just look at those WHIZZER CHIPS ones - they came out in 1984 - a few months short of 30 years ago, but I can remember buying them as clear as day as if it were only recently.  I just can't get my head around that.

As you can see, the July '85 ish of WHOOPEE has a number on it, which reminds me that it was Group Editor BOB PAYNTER who gave me it on one of my regular (weekly) jaunts down to London.  (2014 means that it was intended for office 14 on the 20th floor.)  I may also have got the August issue from Bob, but I'd have to check, because sometimes the numbers were written on the back.  Which ones do you remember, and did you have any favourites?

I'll dig out some more in the not-too-distant future and treat you all to yet another funfest of comic covers.  Stay tuned!






4 comments:

Unknown said...

These were pretty good value comics and I picked up a few of these at the time but pretty much based my purchases on the ones that featured Leo Baxendale, Ken Reid and Reg Parrlet art. As it happened these artists (the first 2 especially) seemed to be in Funny Fortnightly /Monthly and their other title (my favourite if pushed) Big Comic Monthly. I preffered DCTs "Best of books..." though

Unknown said...

Meant to add on my reply didn't they also publish a "Best of Buster.." and another title that was similar to "Big Comic Monthly " (seem to recall it =s title was 3 letters like "BCM! ???)

TwoHeadedBoy said...

Ah, Funny Fortnightly! Got the first issue of that from a car boot sale in 1992 - it proved to be my first encounter with Fleetway comics, and an introduction to the likes of Faceache, X-Ray Specs, Ivor Lott & Tony Broke, Beat Your Neighbour and Scream Inn.

Found the whole run of them tied up with elastic in a plastic bag for £5 in a second-hand book shop in Manchester several years ago, and it was only then that I realised all the covers were re-used Krazy covers.

The many various Fleetway "Best Of" comics are always great to find, just for the amount of pages in them.

Kid said...

Yeah, there was a Buster one, McScotty - and one called BVC, which stood for Big Value Comic. In fact, BVC may have morphed into BCM (or vice versa) - can't quite remember.

******

I'll say one thing, THB - you seem to do amazingly well in finding good stuff in charity shops, car boot sales and 2nd-hand bookshops. Wish I had half your luck. Yeah, these comics were certainly great value, sure enough.



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...