Sunday 19 April 2015

WELCOME TO THE VILLAGE...



Every week, for about 10 or 12 years, I used to visit a little village overlooking the sea.  The stone cottages, the rowboats on the beach, the hills in the distance, all were familiar sights to me for a large part of my childhood and teenage years.  To me, this village existed only in a framed print of a painting hanging on my grandparents' living-room wall above the fireplace (though, as far as I know, it's a real location), and that framed window was a portal into a place of peace and tranquillity beside the seashore.

I still visit that little little island today on occasion, as that self-same painting passed into our possession when my grandparents moved into an old folks home in the late 1970s or very early '80s.  When I want to remember those halcyon days (to use a well-worn phrase) of my childhood, I'll wander into the room in which it hangs and stand and gaze upon it, recalling a vanished era that becomes more precious to me the farther it recedes on the horizon of history.

The painting is by an artist named T.R. SANDERSON, of whom I can find no personal details when I Google the name, though there are examples of his or her art on view.  Does anyone know anything about the artist, and - even more important - can you identify where the above picture was actually painted?  Who knows, one day I may actually stand on the spot where the painting was produced, and pretend to myself that I've stepped through the frame and onto that hopefully not too far distant shore. 

2 comments:

Ada from Linwood said...

I too have a copy of this print and I too am wondering just who the artist was and where exactly was the landscape painted. I could not find any information on J R Sanderson online and would really like to find out more

Kid said...

Hopefully we'll find out some day soon. I check the internet every so often to see if there's any fresh info. Anyone out there help?



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...