Saturday 24 August 2019

THE HOLLOW WIND OF SLEEPY WILLOWS (THAT'LL DO, IT'S CLOSE ENOUGH)...

Copyright DISNEY

I've related before about how, in 1970, I spent my last primary school afternoon at my local cinema, which was hosting a prize-giving ceremony for the winners of an inter-school art contest that had taken place in Glasgow Art Gallery some months before.  As I'd been a participant (without being informed I was in a contest - I just thought it was a special treat for 'arty' pupils), I was therefore also at the presentation.  (And no, I wasn't a winner.  I don't think my picture of a battling pair of GIGANTOR-style robots was what the judges were looking for.)

At the cinema (which had the largest screen in Scotland, and was the first purpose-built cinema in the UK since World War II), WALT DISNEY's animated cartoon short of The WIND In The WILLOWS was screened, though I no longer recall if it was before or after the prize-giving.  One thing I do remember was turning around in my chair at some point during the 'ceremony' and being surprised to see a fellow pupil called ROBERT (or ROBIN) GOLDIE who'd been in my class when I first started at that particular primary five years before.  (And afterwards too.)  I always thought he was the double of HUCKLEBERRY HOUND, but in human form.


What surprised me was that he was wearing the uniform of another school, and it was only then that I realised I hadn't seen him in quite a while.  Probably two years in fact, as in 1968, some of the pupils at my school were moved to a new one in another area which was closer to where they lived.  I obviously must've just subconsciously assumed he was still attending my school (though in another class), for me to have been surprised to discover he wasn't.  Seems fitting though, to have seen him on my first and last day of primary, even if the latter occasion wasn't actually 'on site'.  I seem to have a vague recollection of seeing him again at secondary school a year or two later, but I don't think I've seen him since.

Anyway, this post isn't about him, but about the film.  21 years later (1991), I noticed it was available on video and immediately purchased a copy, along with The LEGEND Of SLEEPY HOLLOW, also by Disney.  Although I didn't know it at the time, both shorts had originally been released as one feature in 1949, under the name of The ADVENTURES Of ICHABOD And Mr. TOAD.  The Ichabod segment was narrated by BING CROSBY (who also sang), and the Mr. Toad one by BASIL RATHBONE (who didn't sing).


I only bought them together because they were clearly complementary in style and substance.  In the original version, the first segment segues into the second, but sometime later, they were divided into two separate shorts, with new titles being created bearing the original literary names of the books.  Some slight editing was seamlessly performed to remove any references at the end of the first part to the second, and also at the beginning of the second part to the first.  Now that they were no longer 'joined at the hip', they didn't require being shown together, and those versions were shown on US TV and eventually made available to cinemas.  

Several years back, I bought the DVD of the original 1949 feature for the superior quality that the format provides, but I also wanted separate discs of each segment, though I don't think they were available in the UK at that time.  Well, they are now (and have been for a while, apparently), so I recently bought them, and was delighted to be able to watch The Wind In The Willows as I first experienced it (but in better quality than VHS), a kick in the pants short of 50 years ago.  Just think, if I hadn't seen the cartoon back in 1970, I may never have picked up the book to read on seeing it in my secondary school library around a year later, having recognised the title from the animated short.

Looking back, what amazes me is that it took me a whole 21 years to obtain a video of the film after first seeing it as a primary school pupil, and another 28 years to finally obtain that separate version on DVD.  Strangely, the latter (and longer) period of time seems less than the former (and shorter) period that preceded it.  However, I've dragged you all down that road many a time before, so I'll spare you on this occasion.  My consideration for others is as renowned as my modesty.  And let me tell you, I've got a lot to be modest about.

So what's the point of this post?  Well, aside from reliving a particular part of my past for my own indulgence, it also serves to give you something to read during an idle moment, and to help fill your otherwise dull and dreary day.  (Or is it just me that has those?)  I'm just thoughtful that way.  And it should also go without saying that I heartily recommend both films (in whatever version) to all Criv-ites everywhere.

2 comments:

top_cat_james said...

The Adventures of Ichabod and Mr. Toad is actually my favorite Disney animated movie. I also think its the best use of the Forties' "package feature" format. It has no dull spots, moves briskly, and contains inventive layout and editing along with the Disney animators at their peak. Perfect rainy afternoon viewing. I heartily recommend purchasing the Blu-ray that has it paired up with Fun and Fancy Free (1947) and The Reluctant Dragon (1941).

Kid said...

Long time no hear, TCJ. I haven't yet invested in a Blu-ray player - too many toys and comics to buy first. One day, one day. The Reluctant Dragon is most assuredly one I will have to get if I don't already own it. I just can't remember.



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...