Thursday 15 August 2019

IT'S ALL THERE IN JACK AND WHITE...


Copyright MARVEL COMICS

Admit it - the title of this post is really quite clever.  In fact, I'm impressed with myself, despite the modesty and humility for which I'm justly famous and never talk about.  But that's enough about me.  (What - no dissent?  I can go on a bit longer if you want me to.  H'mm, okay, let's talk about the above image then.)

This, as all MARVEL-ites will have recognised, is the image used on the 2009 trade paperback of the X-MEN MASTERWORKS volume (which had an all black background), featuring JACK KIRBY's original cover design painted over by DEAN WHITE.  I happen to think that it's a beezer of a result, but what about the rest of you?  The comments section awaits your esteemed presence.

10 comments:

Terranova47 said...

How nice to see the word BEEZER used. Here is a dictionary definition:

beezer
(West Coast Scotland)

To mean something is or was amazing/quality/cracker

How different BEEZER comic, the twin of TOPPER comic, was to Marvel Comics. I had no idea the word had a meaning and could be used in a sentance. Thanks Kid for bringing it to my attention.

I'm not familiar with the origin of the artwork but I do like the Luminosity of it.

Kid said...

If you go back a few posts, T47, you'll see the original published cover. And I think the original unaltered cover is also on the blog somewhere. If you're interested enough, type X-Men into the blog's search box and hopefully you'll find it.

Graham said...

Two thumbs up on the post title. Well done.

Kid said...

Thanks, G. I surpassed myself with that one.

B Smith said...

Meh, I can think of three better post titles straight off...Babe Of The Day: Caroline Munro, Babe Of The Day: Julie Ege and Babe Of The Day: Gillian Duxbury. I could probably recall a few more, given time...

Kid said...

Yeah, BS, but if I'd used any of those titles for this post, you'd be suing me for false advertising.

Anonymous said...

I read the Beezer and Topper every week until I discovered Marvel in late 1974 but I never considered what Beezer meant until today! Obviously Topper was short for top hat and Beano for beanfeast.

Kid said...

Apparently, Topper refers to someone who always has a better story, or means a joke or event that is hard to top. Beano refers to a celebratory party, but is slang for beanfeast (as you said). Sparky referred to people or events that were lively or entertaining, and Cracker means something that is very impressive. (There are other definitions for cracker that are less flattering.)

It was no coincidence that D.C. Thomson called their comics Dandy, Beano, Topper, Beezer, Magic, and Cracker. Each name was intended to represent the quality of the contents.

Terranova47 said...

How did the BBC come up with the title CRACKERJACK! for a kids show hosted by Eamonn Andrews? It wasn't exceptionally good as dictionary defined.

Kid said...

Well, a crackerjack is also a firework - so maybe it was because the show was like the results of an explosion. (Personally, I loved it. CRACKERJACK!)



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...