Friday 21 December 2018

SEASONAL REPOST - THE WOOLWORTH'S SANTA...



In the words of the song (SILVER BELLS in case you were wondering), soon it will be Christmas Day, so this post is rather appropriate.  Not that it contains any earth-shaking content (when do they ever?), but I feel like wallowing in nostalgia for a bit, and I'm sure you won't mind coming along for the ride.

The Santa in the above photo is from a set of four I bought in WOOLWORTH'S back around the mid-'80s.  Every year since then they've been trotted out to add to the festive cheer in the living-room, adorning the wall-clock above the fireplace for many a Christmas now - though I originally hung them from the old tree (which pre-dates my arrival on the planet).

It's a classic Santa Claus design, very similar to the one associated with COCA COLA.  And though I didn't acquire the figures until the mid-'80s, I can easily imagine them as part of the Christmases of my boyhood back in the '60s, accentuating the yuletide mood of houses that they never once saw the insides of.  Strange that, eh?

Anyway, I assumed when I bought them that they were a relatively new product at the time ('cos I'd never seen them before), but perhaps they're an old item that appeared in shops every Christmas for decades.  Does anyone else have them, and if so, can you recall roughly what year you first got them?  Let me know in the comments section, will you?

(And remember - it's only four days to Christmas.) 

No comments:



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...