Saturday 2 November 2013

THE MAN OF STEEL - COVER GALLERY...


Copyright DC COMICS.  Variant cover to #1

Back in the mid-'80s, DC COMICS decided to revamp and relaunch their most popular hero, SUPERMAN, in the wake of their 12 part maxi-series, CRISIS ON INFINITE EARTHS.  The face of the DC Universe was altered forever (well, at least 'til the next 'Crisis' when sales needed a boost) and JOHN BYRNE and others were called upon to revamp the line's premier superhero for a new generation.

So, here, for your entertainment and edification, are all 7 covers from the 6 part mini-series from 1986.  Enjoy!
    






Update: VOLKER STIEBER kindly got in touch to say that he'd won a specially bound copy of all six issues in a competition back around the mid-'80s.  In the style of  '60s DOUBLE-DOUBLE COMICS, the comics had the covers removed, were glued together, had another cover attached and were then trimmed.  Volker sent me scans of the finished result, along with his form letter from DC COMICS informing him he'd won a copy.

Thanks for taking the time and trouble, Volker.  Did you ever buy the 'proper' soft-cover collected edition of Man of Steel?



9 comments:

John Pitt said...

You're doing really well just lately in showing me covers for the first time. The Man of Steel is another of those mini series that never came to my town, although we did used to get more dc mini series than the marvel counterparts.

Kid said...

The series was collected into a softcover book, JP, which I'd imagine is still available if you're interested in reading it. Probably obtainable from your local comicbook store or online. Glad you're enjoying the recent posts.

Anonymous said...

Another of my favourite comic series - I really like John Byrnes work at DC on this series, Action Comics, the Demon and a few guest spots on the JLA. The only (fanboy) issue I had with this reboot of Superman's origin, which largely made sense was in getting rid of Superman as Superboy (which I think was a 50s invention) but it meant a bit of a convoluted alteration in continuity to my then favourite book, the Legion of Super-Heroes which I cant recall but it was another sub "universe" type thing (why they feel they need to explain these things is beyond me its only a comic lol) - amazing how things repeat now DC have again re vamped Superman and the DC universe - McScotty

Kid said...

What astounds me, McScotty, is that they've revamped it AT LEAST once (that I know of) in between the first 'Crisis' and the relatively recent relaunch. I gave up on DC long ago - I bought a few of the New 52 (which I browsed through but couldn't motivate myself to read), but it's mainly only reprint stuff I buy from their stable now and again.

Gey Blabby said...

I seem to remember this riding on the coattails of The Dark Knight Returns when it first came out, and while it wasn't quite as radical as Miller's effort, I thought it was well done. I hadn't read a Superman comic for about 10 years prior to this, so it served as a re-introduction to the character for me.

Kid said...

I enjoyed it at the time, GB, but in retrospect, I think Denny O'Neil's approach to revamping Superman was perhaps a better way of going about it. That is, just don't use - or refer to - any part of previous continuity not wanted in the strip.

Kid said...

That John Byrne, eh, Ric? Not a bad artist at all. Loved his Fantastic Four.

vwstieber said...

These 6 issues contained contest cards to send in. The prize was a bound edition of the first 6 issues. I won a copy, which I still have along with the 'thank-you' letter. I'd be glad to send you scan of the bound covers and letter for your blog, if you haven't seen them and are interested.

Kid said...

Nice of you to offer. If you send me your email address (which I won't publish), I'll get in touch.



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...