Wednesday 5 June 2013

50 YEARS OF THE DALEKS! SO... DOCTOR WHO?


The DALEKS copyright BBC TV and the Estate of TERRY NATION

I simply must tell you all about the existence of this great magazine I picked up from WH SMITH's today - The DALEKS!  Published by PANINI (who also produce DWM), it's priced at £9.99 and is worth every penny.

As well as some great photos of Daleks merchandise, it also reprints two complete stories - from the original artwork - of the back page strip from TV CENTURY 21, including the very first 3-page adventure illustrated by RICHARD JENNINGS, as well as a later 6-pager by RON TURNER.  And it contains a whole load of other goodies too numerous to mention.

(On the first 3 strip-pages, it looks as if clean copies of the original Daleks logo-box have replaced the old ones (especially on the first strip), which had probably dropped off the artboards long ago.  Also, the gutter which separates them seems slightly wider than before, and masks-off a minuscule portion of the one on the first page.  But, hey - it's a minor quibble.)
  
As is typical of WHS, the mag isn't placed where anyone would expect it to be, which is why I hadn't noticed it before on any of my regular browsing sessions.  Instead of being put alongside DOCTOR WHO MAGAZINE and other SF publications, it's stuck on a shelf in a corner of the shop where nobody looking for it would think to look for it.  Why they didn't put a few copies where people would expect it to be, plus another few where they did put it, I'll never know.  I've told them enough times in regard to BEANO Summer Specials and the like.

Anyway, take it from me - not to be missed!  

9 comments:

John Pitt said...

...And GOT to get one of these! ( Didn't know about it either! )

Kid said...

Take it from me, JP - well worth it!

Anonymous said...

This Daleks Souvenir issue came out a couple of weeks ago and is actually the first of 3 specials from Panini celebrating Doctor Who's 50 Years Anniversary.

Kid said...

If it had been placed next to DWM, I'd have seen it a couple of weeks back. What are the other two going to focus on, do you know? I think, on the whole, that I'm more of a Dalek fan than a Doctor Who one 'though.

Anonymous said...

This is a longshot, but could there be a chance that one of those magazines will feature all the 11 Doctor Who's in a big way???? MAYBE EVEN BY THEN THE 12TH TOO???
(But, if they include the cinematic Peter Cushing that would be 13!!! Unlucky for some!!! Maybe it will feature all the other "Doctors" also... the list could go on, but I have really tempted fate tonight!!!)
I am taking a big risk writing this shaky prediction for all the world to read... thank goodness I am anonymous!

Dougie said...

I scoured Elgin's branch of WH Smith's for over two weeks - and three Glasgow branches last weekend- before giving in and ordering a more expensive copy on Amazon. Never saw a single copy- where the hell was it shelved? I'm too irritated to look again today!

Kid said...

It's been stuck over in the 'recommended' section. You know, where they put these mags with DVDs attached to them about the mmon-landings and the Titanic, and that sort of stuff. I'd've put half of them there (to attract casual buyers) and the other half alongside DWM where most people would be expecting to find it.

django said...

This bookazine has been notoriously difficult to track down(I got mine from eBay), it's overpriced in my opinion but is a good read!. The next one is about the companions and will be out in 2-3 months time!.

Kid said...

Well, obviously I'd have preferred it to be only £4.99, but it's got a lot of content in it. It's really only the lack of a hardback cover which prevents it from being a book. I'm not even sure I'll buy the other two - I'll wait till I see them.

******

Dougie, django has reminded me of the name I was looking for - the mag was in the 'bookazine' section of WHS.



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...