Thursday 17 October 2019

EVEN ROCKS ERODE OVER TIME, BUT NOT SO YOU'D NOTICE...

Copyright DC COMICS

I've got several issues of the above SGT. ROCK Special series, but for some unknown reason, issues 4 & 6 eluded me at the time.  I'm not sure exactly how many issues of this series there were, but, without digging through a filing cabinet to check, I think the last one I bought was either #8 or 9.  (Update:  Just checked and I only had 1-3 & 5, four issues.  Strange, I was sure I had more.)  After 30 years, I've finally acquired 4 & 6 on eBay, and it's hard to believe that it's been my intention to track them down for three decades now.  It seems like only yesterday since they were first published, but it was - gasp - half my life away.  Can someone explain to me just how that's possible?  I'm sitting typing this at the same table in the same room where the issues I do own have been since I first bought them, and I have absolutely no sense of the immense gulf between then and now - it just seems so recent.

Another example of the complexity and perplexity of time, which never ceases to amaze me.  Now all I have to do is find out how many more issues I need to complete the set.  Anyone know?

4 comments:

TC said...

IIUC, the series ran for 21 issues from 1988 to 1992. The first 13 issues were titled "Sgt Rock Special." The rest were simply titled "Sgt Rock."

Specifically, that was the 48-page reprint series. The original comic ran from the 1950s until the late 1980s. It was originally Our Army At War. The Rock strip began in 1959, and in 1977 the title changed to Sgt Rock. Under that title, it ran until #422.

That is an example of how, in the 1960s and 1970s, the trend was away from anthologies and one-offs, and toward self-titled series with continuing characters. Journey Into Mystery became Thor, My Greatest Adventure became Doom Patrol, Star-Spangled War Stories became Unknown Soldier, and Strange Suspense Stories became Captain Atom.

Kid said...

Thanks for that, TC, but can you clarify for me whether it was just the first 13 issues that were 48 page reprint mags, or all 21?

Another two titles that changed their names were Tales To Astonish, which became The Incredible Hulk, and Strange Tales, which became Dr. Strange. Both mags continued the original numbering.

TC said...

And Tales of Suspense became Captain America. That was when Marvel got out of that restrictive distribution deal, so their anthology/"split books" were replaced by self-titled solo superhero comics.

AFAIK, all 21 issues of the Sgt. Rock Special series were 48 pages.

Kid said...

Ta for that, TC. I've not yet made up my mind for certain whether I'll try for owning the full 21 issues, but at least I've plugged the two gaps in the ones I have.



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...