Sunday 9 January 2022

THE SUPER-HEROES COVER GALLERY OMNIBUS...

Copyright MARVEL COMICS

Several years back I published a Super-Heroes Cover & Image Gallery series, which included splash pages and pin-ups, etc., but I've decided to do a streamlined version (all in one go) of covers only, so that the post will be composed of full-colour throughout.  This title was a great wee comic, lasting only 50 issues, but squeezing a diverse selection of Marvel strips for the discerning reader and collector into its relatively short run.  If you bought this weekly periodical back in the '70s, refresh your memory of what you were reading then, and indulge your sense of nostalgia for things past.  And if you've got a favourite strip or cover, then don't keep that info to yourself - share it with your fellow crazy Crivvies in our ever-lovin' comments section.

While you're casting your minds back and thinking of what to type, I must say it comes as a shock to realise that I wasn't long turned 16 when the first issue went on sale, and had only recently become 17 when the last ish hit the shelves.  Almost a whole year of my life between those 50 comics, and feeling like nowhere near as far back as it was.  Tempus Fugit - just where did my life go?  It feels like I blinked and missed it.  If only I could say I spent it on having a great time, but I just can't think of any particularly momentous, memorable moments to speak of.  (There must be some, but I find it hard to summon any to the forefront of memory right now.)  Any other oldies out there who lament the rapidity with which the years fly past, or am I the only one?  






















DOC SAVAGE copyright CONDE NAST



























8 comments:

Colin Jones said...

The only one I bought was #9, "Heir Of Frankenstein", but I remember some of the other covers as ads especially #41, the debut of the Scarecrow.

To this day I still know absolutely nothing about The Scarecrow, Doc Savage or Bloodstone.

Kid said...

DC also had a character called The Scarecrow, CJ, one of Batman's baddies. I can remember absolutely nothing about Marvel's Scarecrow - nor much of Bloodstone. I used to read the pulp novels of Doc Savage and found them very entertaining - nothing like the camp movie with Ron Ely.

Rip Jagger said...

Wow! That's a great gallery of mostly new Marvel artwork to my eyes. Thanks.

Rip Off

Kid said...

Nae bother, RJ - glad you enjoyed seeing the covers created for we Brits back in the '70s, as well as the 'tweaked' US covers too.

Spirit of '64 said...

Could never understand why UK Marvel did not follow the Surfer series sequentially. The series was not a must buy for me, and did not appear to be as well distributed as MWOM or SCW; if I had my time again ( and the pocket money), I would have bought all the Surfer issues.
Spirit of 64

Kid said...

True, a few of the Surfer stories were out of their original sequence, S64, but I don't think it created any problems in continuity. I never had any difficulty in acquiring any of the issues, so distribution seemed to be okay in my neck of the woods. 'Twas a good little comic, and if I had my time over again, I'd still buy it.

McSCOTTY said...

I think most people will wonder where all the years went Kid, pretty much a natural experience. I've certainly had lots of good times in my years some awful ones as well but like most folk most days are "9 to 5" everyday things. The Super-Heroes never really worked for me after the Surfer left it needed a strong character\team to sell it for me. I liked Bloodstone at the time but I wasn't a fan of Marvels Scarecrow or Doc Savage.

Kid said...

I've got brain fog at the moment, McS, so although I'm sure I must've had loads of good times, I just can't specifically think of any at the moment. Not momentous, life-affirming ones anyway. I'll probably be able to think of dozens tomorrow. Bloodstone and The Scarecrow didn't really do anything for me, but I didn't mind Doc Savage as I'd read the books a few years before.



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...