Saturday 11 May 2019

THE FUNNY PAGES...


Images copyright REBELLION

It's taken me a while to get around to taking a look at this comic, one of the many available for Free Comic Book Day last Saturday, but the only one I was interested in acquiring.  It's hard to resist comparing The FUNNY PAGES to the COR!! BUSTER Humour Special, but comparisons are inevitable, and, in my view, I know which one comes out on top.  And that's not just because anything that's free has a huge advantage in the appeal stakes to a stereotypical frugal Scot, but because it's the superior publication.

It's true that the nostalgia factor doubtless plays a part in forming my opinion, but that doesn't render it completely devoid of any objectivity when it comes to assessing the respective merits of the two magazines.  The Cor!! Buster mag was very professionally produced and there was nothing in it that could really be described as bad, but when you have cartoonists of the calibre of KEN REID, LEO and MARTIN BAXENDALE, MIKE LACEY, REG PARLETT, STEVE BRIGHT, BOB NIXON, TOM PATERSON, STAN McMURTRY (I think), etc. (as Funny Pages did), then the CB Humour Special was always going to be runner-up.

Thankfully, however, you needn't be restricted to either one or the other, you can have both - if you're prepared to pay around a tenner for Funny Pages on eBay (if you weren't sharp enough to get one for free), and £4.99 for Cor!! Buster in WHS.  I know which one I prefer (both published by REBELLION) - how about you?

(And a special thanks to MIKE from DD.)


I think this is by Leo Baxendale, but it just might be by Tom Paterson

6 comments:

Dave S said...

I had no idea this had even been published! Found myself a copy on ebay for the bargain price of £1.90, looking forward to its arrival now!

Kid said...

It's a nice little item, DS. Maybe this format is the way forward for British comics?

Dave S said...

It would be nice to see Rebellion try something like this out as a monthly. Really looking forward to reading my copy when it arrives.

Kid said...

I'm very happy with it. If the characters in the Cor!! Buster Humour Special had more resembled the originals, I'd have been more than pleased.

Dave S said...

Read this today, Kid, and loved it! It's been a long long time since I've read a comic where one of the characters uses a pea shooter, and it's great to see characters like Cheeky, and strips like Ivor Lott and Tony Broke. Incidentally, as a child, I was always a bit puzzled by the name Tony Broke- I realised it was a pun on something but it's only now I've realised it's a play on'stony broke', a phrase I was unfamiliar with at the time.

I'd love to see Rebellion publish a regular title like this, they certainty must have enough material.

Kid said...

My one reservation is the fact that the reproduction of the Frankie Stein page wasn't very sharp, but that apart, I thought it's a great wee comic. I'd certainly be happy to see more issues. A panel that made me laugh was the one in which Kid Kong shakes feet with his Yeti cousin. Bob Nixon could sure draw 'funny'.



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...