Monday 22 December 2014

KID'S CHRISTMAS CLASSICS: TV COMIC'S LAST CHRISTMAS...


Copyright relevant owner

Believe it or not, but you're looking at a genuine collectors' item classic - the very last Christmas edition of TV COMIC, a periodical which began in November 1951 and lasted 'til June 1984. If my simple arithmetic is correct, that means there were 33 Christmas issues over TV Comic's lengthy run, a feat not to be sneezed at.

Hopefully, the pages that follow are actually from the above issue;  I scanned them some time back along with some other Christmas strips and my folders are in a slight state of disarray at the moment, but I think I've got the right ones.  So, what are you waiting for?  Stick on the JIM REEVES Christmas CD and away you go!






10 comments:

Gey Blabby said...

"Boom! Boom! Mr Derek!" (That fourth word will be enough to show where my allegiances lie.)
I've never seen Basil with legs before and I have to say that it's an extremely disconcerting sight.


I used to have a plastic Popeye record player back in the 60s - it had a white or light pink turntable. I don't know why I had it as I wasn't particularly keen on the character - I think I must just have been given it as a present at some time.

Kid said...

The comic strip version of Basil also has longer arms. And betcha that record player's worth a small fortune these days, GB.

Anonymous said...

I was going to mention Basil Brush's feet as well - whatever happened to him anyway ? He just completely disappeared after being a staple of Saturday evening TV - wasn't there a Mr. Roy, there were probably a few of them I suppose.

Kid said...

Basil enjoyed a TV revival a few years back, CJ, and is currently in panto, I think. Honest.

TwoHeadedBoy said...

That Basil Brush story's my new favourite comic page - we forgot about the ghosts!

Kid said...

Mental, is what it is, THB. (Great stuff!)

John Pitt said...

Did you have any inkling that it was going to just stop without a word when it did?

Kid said...

No, because I wasn't buying it regularly when it stopped, JP. The first I knew was when Bob Paynter (youth group editor of IPC's humour division) pointed out the last issue sitting on a rack in his office on the 20th floor of King's Reach Tower one day. When I expressed my dismay at missing the last issue, he let me take his copy.

Chris Sobieniak said...

I recall reading these pages before, perhaps on another blog.

Kid said...

It was probably on this one, Chris. This is a re-post under my 'Kid's Classics' (he said with a straight face) banner. It sounds better than 'Can't think of anything to write, so here's one I made earlier.'



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...