Friday 26 October 2012

MASKS AND MEMORIES - TO BOLDLY GO...


Copyright relevant owner

Memory is a funny thing, don't you think?  I don't mean 'funny ha-ha', but 'funny peculiar'.  I consider myself to have a fairly good memory (in the main), but am sometimes astounded when reminded of things I hadn't even realized I'd seemingly forgotten.  For example, take a look at the above ad for these half-dozen STAR TREK masks.  Had I merely been asked if I remembered them on the back of KELLOGG'S CORN FLAKES boxes back in 1971, I'd probably have thought they sounded familiar, but not been 100% sure whether I actually (if vaguely) remembered them or only imagined I did.

However, when I recently laid eyes on this ad on the back of one of my VALIANT & SMASH! comics, I recalled them instantly.  I definitely had the MR. SPOCK one, and maybe even one or two others.  Thing is, I hadn't thought about them in forty-one years and would probably never have done so if not for seeing the ad again.  Isn't it strange how it sometimes requires a visual reminder of something for us to realize we'd 'forgotten' it?

Who knows what memories lurk in the minds of men?  (H'mm, that's a good line - someone should have used it for something.)

6 comments:

Steve Does Comics said...

Yep. I remember those masks too. I'm pretty sure we had a Mr Spock and possibly a Dr McCoy.

I also remember getting some cardboard cut-out Mr Spock ears and a Star Fleet badge, from somewhere, around the same time.

Kid said...

What I also remember, Steve, is the smell of cardboard and cornflakes when I was wearing the mask.

moonmando said...

Free gifts in cereal boxes were a huge fascination for me as a kid growing up in the sixties.The sheer delight in opening the outer carton and extending ones arm into the inner packaging,fishing for the elusive gift hidden within the depths of the Rice Krispy/Sugar Puff/Cornflake content was thrilling to say the least(yes,i really was that sad).
Unfortunately,i shared my upbringing with three other siblings and we would all by tacit agreement take turns at getting first dibs on the latest breakfast promotional freebies.This of course led to much fighting as to whos turn was next at claiming the treasured gift.Many an insult,and a small modicum of violence would ensue as a result of these heated exchanges.
Yes indeed,we were a close family...Hmm

Dougie said...

The legendary Ted (Lurch/Thing) Cassidy,dismissed as "an android"!

I had forgotten cutting out the Spock mask. Makes me want to watch some Original Star Trek.

Kid said...

Moonmando, I used to love the little submarines that one put baking soda into to make them submerge and rise to the surface. Also the Thunderbirds craft that came with either Sugar Smacks or Sugar Puffs (I forget which). I even liked the Sooty figures. So I'm afraid that I was equally as sad.

******

Dougie, and isn't it a good likeness of Ted Cassidy too? You wouldn't have thought they'd have bothered too much with a non-recurring character. I'll have to dig out my set of complete Star Trek DVDs and watch them again as well. Ah, what fun!

Kid said...

And for those of you who may be interested, I now have one of those submarines and two of the Thunderbirds toys (2 & 4).



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...