Friday, 18 September 2026

RECENT ADDITIONS TO CASTEL CRIVENS...


Copyright MARVEL COMICS

Above, the final (for now) facsimile edition of Silver Surfer, this one being #7 and the last square-bound giant-size issue (68 pages) before the title switched to the standard 36 pages for the remainder of its 18-ish run.  Note just how fluid the Surfer looks under John Buscema's hand, unlike Jack Kirby's blocky, stiff, and not quite so graceful work on the character after his initial presentation in the 'Galactus Trilogy'.


Side-by-side, above, are two facsimiles of Journey Into Mystery #83 featuring the debut of Thor.  The first shows the cover as originally drawn, the second as published after Stan Lee decreed the deletion of some Stone Men to prevent the thunder god being overcrowded by them.  The interiors are on newsprint, with the covers pretty much the same type of paper as '60s Marvel mags were printed on.  Fortunately, I own an original ish, but these two nifty items are also great to have, with the back-up tales and ads of the period as first presented.

Copyright DC COMICS

Finally, yet another facsimile of Batman #251, this time without an intrusive modern barcode box, which has now been relegated to the back cover.  I also purchased the foil edition as one simply can't have too much of a good thing, especially (as McScotty will testify), when it comes to Neal Adams art.  So, have you got yours yet?  Well, what'cha waitin' for?!

11 comments:

McSCOTTY said...

I picked up Silver Surfer #7 ( but missed issue 5 and 6). I was in Forbidden Planet on Wednesday but didn't see Batman #251 but it's a great issue. I only have that one in a collection so I can see me picking it up. Thor I'm afraid isn't of interest .

Kid said...

You wouldn't easily find the Thor facsimiles even were you interested, McS, as they're 'privately' produced and come from the US - not exactly cheap either.

Colin Jones said...

The only issue of The Super-Heroes I ever bought (#9) was the one featuring that Surfer cover.

Kid said...

You missed a good weekly comic, CJ, by not buying the other issues.

baggsey said...

I decided to pass up the latest Batman #251 facsimile, Kid, even though the barcode was on the back. I do have the new facsimile of DC Special #7 set aside for me to pick up though, published to commemorate Joe Kubert's 100th anniversary. I actually have the original, but it's a great book.

Kid said...

I pre-ordered the DC Special #7 facsimile a few weeks back, B, and bought #1 (the original) back in February '22. I hope DC do facsimiles of all of them.

McSCOTTY said...

I would really like to see the first series of DC Special reprinted as well. I used to have most of them but gave away and sold most of them . I still have my original Kubert issue (#4) and Plastic Man (#15) but regret selling DC Special # 8 (Wanted).

Kid said...

Can't remember whether I have that Wanted issue or not, McS, but once I find out, I'll buy it of I don't. I don't think I ever had any of the DC Specials back in the day, though I remember seeing an ad for #1 in the comics. As mentioned above in my response to B, I bought it four-odd years ago.

Kid said...

Tell a lie - I had #15, which I re-acquired around 11 years ago.

McSCOTTY said...

I got my Plastic Man and Kubert issues around 1972 in newsagents. There was also a second set of DC Specials that took on the numbering from issue 16 ,to 29 ( or around that number) in 1975-77 . The last few issues were original material though

Kid said...

Curse this brain fog of mine, McS, I just realised I DO have BOTH Wanted Specials and even featured them on the blog. (What am I like?!) Can't remember whether I had the '70s set, but no doubt it'll come back to me somewhere down the line.



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...