Monday 9 August 2021

POST FROM THE PAST: EXIT TV21, STAGE LEFT...


Copyright relevant owner

Believe it or not (as the famous LEROY ROBERT RIPLEY would say), the above comic is rather significant in its own humble way.  Y'see, this was the very last time that the esteemed name of TV21 appeared on the cover of a British weekly periodical, after around two and a half years of sharing space (as junior partner) with the VALIANT masthead.  For the final four months, the partnership had been in name only, as the last surviving TV21 strip - STAR TREK - had ended in the December 29th 1973 cover-dated issue, The TUFFS Of TERROR ISLAND having preceded it into retirement around a year and a half earlier.

It's true to say that, even before the merger in 1971, TV21 hadn't resembled its original incarnation for quite a while, but its title in some shape or form had been a familiar sight on newsagents' counters since 1965.  Five issues later, the host comic found another partner and a new double-act appeared on the scene, with the name of LION taking the place that TV21 had occupied.  The previous four issues had returned Valiant to solo status during those intervening weeks, but it was sad to see TV21's logo absent after its years of faithful service.  It had been a feature of my childhood in three houses from 1965 to 1974, which seemed a long time to me back then.  (Or does it just seem like that now?) 

Anyway, below are some internal pages to give you a taste of what it was about (excuse the 'bleed-through'). Note the ad which advises readers to place a regular order for Valiant & TV21, even though the latter's name would be absent from the masthead the following issue.  (Looking at the covers for the four 'in-between' issues on eBay, I note that there's still space in the title box for TV21's logo, which suggests it was originally included but removed before publication.)

I sometimes wonder if GERRY ANDERSON or ALAN FENNELL even noticed or lamented TV21's demise, or had it already faded from their day-to-day consciousness long before the curtain came down for the final time?

And thus a legend passed into history.









I wonder if Valiant & TV21's name remained in the indicia 'til the merger with Lion, or was absent once it
vanished from the cover.  If you have the issues between April 20th & May 25th, check and let me know,
will you?  
Update: And thanks to NB, we now know the answer!  (See comments section for details) 


19 comments:

McSCOTTY said...

Strange as the advert on the last page advertised Buster and Jet ?!

Kid said...

That's not so strange, McS, one comic often advertised another, especially if they had a bit of space that needed filling.

Kid said...

The ad for Valiant and TV21 is two pages above the one for Buster and Jet, if that's what you mean. Did you miss it?

McSCOTTY said...

So they did I forgot about that duh! I had stopped reading most UK comics by this time, but nice to see the art standard is still high and quirky, Valiant was such a good comic. The Crows was always a favourite of mine.

Kid said...

When Smash! was revamped in 1969, it became something of a Valiant clone, so it (Valiant) must've been quite popular at the time if the publishers were casting Smash! in its image.

McSCOTTY said...

Meant to say no didn't miss the Valiant and TV21 ad, it was worse I actually forgot Buster was from the same publication group (I'll get my coat).

Smash ,Valiant and Lion were three of my favourite comics I really miss that format of weekly instalments and adventure, humour etc but I just don't think there is the talent today to produce a weekly like these. That's not to say artist writers aren't good today , some are excellent, it's just ( to me at least) there's not the interest or the editorial skill to churn out adventure stories like they used to week in week out

Kid said...

And unfortunately there doesn't seem to be the readers either, McS. Most kids have never got into the habit of buying weekly comics, because their parents never treated them to one when they were younger. It's mostly all computer games these days, isn't it? And other stuff that I've probably never even heard of.

Colin Jones said...

Yellowknife is also a town in Canada with regular, excellent views of the Northern Lights.

Kid said...

I knew that, CJ, 'cos you said it when I first posted these images. Thanks for reminding me.

Norman Boyd said...

Hi Kid
>>I wonder if Valiant & TV21's name remained in the indicia 'til the merger with Lion, or was absent once it vanished from the cover. If you have the issues between April 20th & May 25th, check and let me know, will you?

The indicia for
20 April has "Valiant and TV21"
27 April has "Valiant" and a space where I suspect TV21 is whited-out.
4 May - "Valiant" no space and the whole block has space at the left as if someone noticed the gap and shifted it all!
11 May - "Valiant" no space - ditto
18 May - "Valiant" no space - ditto
25 May - "Valiant and Lion" straight blocking

Kid said...

Thanks for taking the time to check, NB, much appreciated. That suggests to me that TV21's name was intended to appear on the cover and in the indicia for some time yet, but the decision to merge Lion into Valiant led to its removal on issues that had already been prepared in advance with TV21's name. It makes me wonder how much longer 'TV21' would have been part of the masthead if Lion hadn't been incorporated into Valiant. Thanks again.

Phil S said...

Billy Bunter! But this wasn’t the last appearance of Billy was it?

Kid said...

Nope - as is indicated by the 'caption' underneath the end of the strip, PS.

Colin Jones said...

There's a nostalgia magazine called 'Infinity' which has been going for about three years but I bought my first issue (No.35) only a couple of months ago. I noticed the latest issue in Tesco this morning and the cover mentions TV21 as one of the articles inside, but the main cover feature is about the Japanese TV series 'Monkey' - remember that?

Kid said...

Certainly do remember Monkey, CJ - it was cult viewing back in the '70s. I recall being disappointed when the actor playing Piggy (or whatever he was called) changed.

Colin Jones said...

Apparently 'Monkey' was based on a famous Chinese legend and Radio 4's In Our Time programme (presented by Melvyn Bragg) recently had a discussion about it - and yes, they did mention the TV show!

Kid said...

I might listen to it on iplayer if I get the chance.

McSCOTTY said...

I loved Monkey and the Water Margin back in the day - I think they did a new version of Monkey recently on Netflix but I haven't seen it in the UK (or on my Netflix at least).

Kid said...

If I recall rightly, McS, both the '70s shows were on BBC 2. Those were the days, eh?



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...