Monday 16 August 2021

A GAME OF TWO HALVES FOR KEN REID...


Copyright REBELLION

Just arrived at Castel Crivens, Ken Reid's Football Funnies The First Half, which all fans of the master cartoonist are sure to love.  Unfortunately, any colour strips are rendered in greyscale, whereas I'd have preferred Rebellion to go the extra mile and publish them as they originally appeared.  (Spot colour according to commenter McS.)

One of the things that occasionally lets these books down is errors in the biographical details of the contributors.  For instance, in the back of this book it says: 'Ken... left the company (DCT) to work for Odhams Press on the new titles Smash (sic) and Wham!'  Well, no, actually - he left to work specifically on Wham!, which came out two years before Smash!  The latter comic wouldn't even have been thought of when Ken left D.C. Thomson to go to Odhams.

Perhaps you think such things are trivial - after all, Ken did work on Smash!, but his purpose for defecting and the sequence of events is not exactly accurate.  Anyway, looking forward to The Second Half already.






9 comments:

McSCOTTY said...

These footy strips by Ken Reid were brilliant. Although I have many of these in the original comics this is one for my collection. Sub was one of the UKs best humour strips. Hope they publish Reid's Jimmy Jinx, Soccernauts and Triptoe Trier's strips at some point as I don't have many of these in my collection

Kid said...

The ones you mention will be in the 2nd volume, McS. I actually own an 'unofficial' collected edition of all of Ken Reid's football strips, but I'll still be buying 'The Second Half' whenever it's published. Can you confirm for me that at least some of these strips were originally in colour?

Talking of books, wasn't I supposed to be giving you some book or other? Can't remember whether I did or not, or what one it was.

McSCOTTY said...

Of the Ken Reid footy strips I have non are in colour other than a few with spot colour of green, red and blue. There may have been the odd Summer special of Scorcher etc that had colour. Yeah we were discussing a book a few months ago but COVID and our house refurb got in the way Kid ( Leopard of Lime At ).

Kid said...

Yeah, I know of at least one in colour - it must be spot colour that's been turned grey, going by the look of some of them. Leopard rings a bell, but where the heck I've stashed it is anyone's guess. It's bound to turn up, unless I gave it to a charity shop to clear space under my feet. You gotta grab these things when they're going, McS.

Phil S said...

Why is it I remember a Hugh Fowler but not Football forum?

Kid said...

Is there a prize if I guess the correct answer, PS?

McSCOTTY said...

It could be that Phil recalls Hugh Fowler as it appeared about 20 months into Scorchers run. Perhaps Phil was reading Scorchrer at that point in late 1971 (Scorcher issue 1 starting in January 1970) . Football Forum appeared in August 1970 to January 1971( replacing Sub ) and Hugh Fowler ran from around August 1971 to May 1972.

Kid said...

Talking of The Sub, McS, I used to own a page of original artwork from that strip. I think it's on the blog somewhere.

Kid said...

The post is titled 'More Manic Ken Reid Madness...', McS.



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...