Thursday 4 June 2015

TALES OF CREEPY WORLDS OF SUSPENSE (OR SOMETHING LIKE THAT)...

Copyright MARVEL COMICS

I remember my dad giving me a notebook one day, and when I took it into school with me a short time later, a girl in my class called LYNNE SPEED (or Lynn, perhaps) took a fancy to it for some reason and offered to swap me an issue of CREEPY WORLDS #68 for it.  I agreed, but a few days afterwards, I felt bad about having parted with the notebook and asked Lynne if she'd swap back.

She was agreeable to the proposition, but it took her several more days to bring the notebook into school with her.  And that's all there is to that little story.  Apart from to say that the IRON MAN strip in this ALAN CLASS reprint title always reminds me of the annexe huts (in front of which the deal was struck) in my school playground and Lynne herself.  The cover of the comic is from an unretouched stat of the original art, as a few changes were made before it was first published in the pages of TALES Of SUSPENSE #44 (below).


As you'll have noticed, 'pharaoh' on both covers is misspelt, something that I still see in many newspapers today. When the story was again reprinted in recent MASTERWORKS and OMNIBUS editions, the mistake was restored (it had been corrected for previous reprints), but in the absence of uncorrected proofs, it had to be re-lettered the wrong way.  They missed one on the splash page though, and the alterations back to the uncorrected text were less skilfully executed than the original amendments.
    
Lynne Speed in 1967

Not much of a point to this post, admittedly, but I just wanted to see that KIRBY cover again and remember things as they used to be when the world seemed a much brighter and better place.  If you've any memories of your own connected to this Iron Man tale, then feel free to share. 

No comments:



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...