Friday 10 May 2013

BUSTERS, BEANOS & BAVES: TERRY & SHIELA BAVE'S LIFE IN COMICS...


The front cover to Terry's recent autobiography

TERRY BAVE, as every true comics fan will know, is one of a select group of cartoonists who formed the very backbone of the U.K. comics industry, from the 1960s right up to almost the present day.  Having retired a few years ago (his timing was impeccable - the industry was 'retiring' at around virtually the same time), he recently released his autobiography entitled CARTOONS AND COMIC STRIPS, which I received this morning and read in one go.

I'd read Terry's previous memoirs sometime in the 1980s, in a 3-part series published in ALAN CLARK's excellent (long-gone) fanzine GOLDEN FUN.  In some ways his present volume is a more concise account of his early days, and I didn't feel I was reading a mere regurgitation of what I already knew.  (It has been a good 25 years or so between the two versions, which no doubt ensures an element of 'freshness' to details I'd read in his earlier reminiscences.)

And, of course, the back cover to Terry's recent autobiography

If you're a fan of Terry and his work (and if you're not, you should be), you're sure to enjoy this book - especially if you lived through the times he talks about regarding his early career.  There's mention of nearly every title that ODHAMS, FLEETWAY, and IPC published from the early '60s onwards, as well as his later involvement with D.C. THOMSON until his official retirement in 2006 or '07.

I'm a big fan of Terry, who, in my several telephone conversations and dealings with him in the past (as assistant-editor on The ILLUSTRATED COMIC JOURNAL), was niceness personified, so it was great to feel 'connected' to the great man by virtue of the book featuring examples of his artwork I lettered back in the '80s.  A note he sent me (his reaction to mis-reporting in Crikey! a few years ago of his 'demise') also appears, so my name's in there as well.  Don't let that put you off though - this is definitely a book I heartily recommend to all lovers of British comics.

From Golden Fun #15, 1985

However, I now find myself in a difficult situation, because there are aspects of Terry's autobiographical tome which I feel could stand improvement, but - how very dare I?  After all, this is Terry Bave we're talking about - one of the giants of the industry, whose shoes I'm not fit to lace.  (And besides, he probably wears slip-ons.)

Problem is, though, that I have a duty to be truthful - not only to this blog's millionsthousandshundreds - half a dozen readers, but also to Terry himself.  Not for me the insincere, fawning flattery of those who wish only to ingratiate themselves with him, no indeed; the highest compliment and best courtesy I can accord Terry is honesty itself, so I hope he'll understand that the following 'observations' spring not from a desire to 'do him down' in any way, but merely to provide an accurate assessment to potential purchasers and to give him honest and accurate reader-feedback.

From Golden Fun #16, 1986

First of all, the title is a little boring and unimaginative, and doesn't immediately convey the book's autobiographical nature.  'A LINE IN CHUCKLES', the title of the Golden Fun serialisation, is more apropos, though perhaps Terry wanted to avoid giving his long-time fans the impression that the book had merely collected those 3 earlier episodes. I think 'BUSTERS, BEANOS & BAVES:  A LIFE IN COMICS' might've been better, but it's a minor quibble.

Next is the size.  I'd have much preferred to see an A4 size edition, which would've allowed larger reproduction of some of the full-page strips.  Interestingly, a good few years back, I supplied Terry with a copy of WHAM! #151, the issue in which his very first SAMMY SHRINK episode appeared back in 1967, so I presume that the logo and strip reproduced in the book came from this source.  Some of the other pages could've done with a little computer enhancement to punch up the quality, and some colour would've been nice, but, nevertheless, there's a nice selection of images for the reader to drool over.

From Golden Fun #17, 1987

My main gripe, however, is that the text has more punctuation, spelling and grammatical oversights than it should have - something which could've been avoided by more diligent proof-reading and editing.  Admittedly, a pedant's complaint, which most readers probably won't even notice - or bother about if they do.  For myself, however, I found having to re-read various sentences and paragraphs in order to ascertain the proper pauses, breaks and emphases a little jarring.  If Terry should ever decide to release a revised edition, I'll happily volunteer my editorial services for free.

Having said that though, I repeat - this is a book well worth adding to your collection if you're in any way interested in the history of either Terry Bave or British comics from the 1960s onwards.  After all, they're essentially the same thing.

(Click here for details of how to buy Terry's book - now!)   

No comments:



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...