Tuesday 21 May 2013

1st ISSUE CLASSICS: TV CENTURY 21 #1...


Images copyright relevant owner

TV CENTURY 21 was an instant success with readers when it hit newsagents' shelves back in January of 1965, and no British comic since has come anywhere near to matching its circulation at its height.  I well remember walking home with the first issue in my schoolbag after my brother had managed to secure it from a pal, having been too late to purchase one from the shops a day or two before as they were sold out.

I also recall taking it out to look at on the way home and being startled to discover that STEVE ZODIAC was dead - I was instantly hooked, and the images from that FIREBALL XL5 story (illustrated by GRAHAM COTON) were burned into my young mind forever.  As was the back page DALEKS strip, drawn by RICHARD JENNINGS, whose Daleks were probably even more sinister-looking than the television incarnations.

I consider myself extremely fortunate to have been in on such a comics phenomenon from the very beginning, and - feeling in a generous mood - I thought I'd share the experience with those of you who are too young to have been there at the time.  Or, if you were there, now you can relive the thrill of discovery that was yours nearly 50 years ago.

Comic fans everywhere - I now present to you the complete 1st issue of TV Century 21 from 2065.  Enjoy!
  

















13 comments:

John Pitt said...

The greatest British comic of our generation! Do you know if Richard Jennings also drew the Cadet sweet cigarettes Daleks cards?

Kid said...

I'm not sure, to be honest - it's such a long time since I saw them. I'll try and find out.

Kid said...

Update: I'll give a tentative 'yes' to that question, but further research on my part is required.

John Pitt said...

They certainly LOOK as if they were drawn & painted by the same artist, but I havn't been able to find out, myself.

Kid said...

Although it's claimed that two different artists worked on the cards, so maybe they were copying Jenning's style. I've now got all the cards, which I'll post at some time in the future.

PhilSee said...

Great post - the whole issue! Thanks for sharing. Seems a lot people had the same thought - I too was going to ask about the Dalek artist and the card series, of which I managed to retain a mere half dozen down through the years. Probably all I was able to get hold of out here in the colonies back in the day. Never tire of Ron Embleton's work on the Anderson strips. interesting touch with the sills in between the comic panels here and there.

John Pitt said...

Cheers Kid, look forward to it!

Rip Jagger said...

I've been watching Stingray this past week. It's a hoot, the one Anderson show I saw as a kid. Loved the look at the comic adaptation.

Thanks.

Rip Off

Kid said...

And, as you probably know, Rip, drawn by the late Ron Embleton - one of Britain's finest.

John Pitt said...

Well, I may have missed it 50 years ago, but I sure didn't miss out this week!
On the subject of Britain's finest - Bellamy/Noble/Embleton - I honestly could not choose any one over the other two!

Kid said...

Well, I'd have Bellamy's name third on that list for a start.

paul sheridan said...

Thanks for this. It's been great to read it again after all these years!

Kid said...

Nae bother.



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...