Friday, 11 September 2026

CORGI 70th ANNIVERSARY - ASTON MARTIN D.B.5 PLATINUM EDITION...


Recently arrived, this 70th Anniversary Platinum Edition of Corgi's 261 Aston Martin DB5.  The box is a replica of the original 1965 packaging, though what you see in the pic above (taken from the Corgi Model Club's own website) is an outer sleeve to protect it - and advertise Corgi's 70th 'birthday' at the same time.  I'd say I've got more Corgi DB5s than I need, but I just can't help myself - I'm waiting for a boxed set of three other different versions even as I type.

14 comments:

Colin Jones said...

Those model cars always looked nicer in boxes rather than the modern plastic packaging.

Kid said...

I agree, CJ. The only possible exception is the bubblepack DB5 270, which still had some nice illustration on the card backing.

McSCOTTY said...

If you had kept your original childhood car would you still be buying so many other new versions? Only applicable if you don't have your original . This was always a stunning model all the same.

Do you know what item you have most versions of IE the Bond car, Batmobile, a Fantastic Four comic etc

Kid said...

The honest answer is I don't know, McS. I have two original Corgi gold DB5s, one of which I acquired around 35 years ago (so more than half my life away) and which I took back to the house I lived in between 1965 and 1972 to 'reconnect' the two items (car and home), yet I still find myself attracted to new editions.

Perhaps yes, because I still have my original Wade porcelain Yogi Bear purchesed circa 1971, yet I've bought another 5 or 6 of them over the last 20 years or so. Might've been the same with the DB5s, had I still owned my childhood one.

Colin Jones said...

Kid, every so often I get nostalgic for certain kinds of food and yesterday in Tesco I bought a pack of 4 Mars bars and a pack of 7 Penguin bars. I had a Penguin selection box last Christmas but I haven't eaten a Mars bar for donkey's years. My local Tesco also used to sell Hooper's alcoholic dandelion & burdock which I bought not for the alcohol (which was only 4% content anyway) but because there was no other d&b available and sadly they've now stopped selling it.

Kid said...

Penguin Selection Box, CJ? I didn't know they made them. Think I'll have a Mars Bar tonight - you've given me a craving for one. I remember I had Dandelion & Burdock occasionally when I was younger, but I'm not sure who made it. Can't really remember what it tasted like, to be honest.

McSCOTTY said...

I like Dandelion and Burdock as well it's one of the few carbonated drinks I like, but iI haven't had a drink of it in years. I've not had a Mars bar in ages either, they look so small now from when I was young.

Kid said...

Smaller, thinner chocolate coating, softer insides, McS - not the mighty bar it used to be. Sorry for the delay in replying, was away with a Social Worker looking at another Care Home for my mother. Looks like Thunderbirds Are Go (touch wood). Just off to the shops now.

McSCOTTY said...

Excellent news Kid.

Kid said...

Should be next week some time, if nothing goes wrong.

Anonymous as well said...

Caught the Corgi Gold DB5 advertised on TV last weekend, for a limited offer of £19.99. It was a direct TV promotion from Corgi, original price was around £39.99. Really great news for you and your Mother, obviously you now have a much improved social worker, that last clown you had needs sacking. I assume your brothers on board with the transfer as well?

Kid said...

She's the third Social Worker I've had, AAW, only seen her around three times and she's worked miracles. This means the previous two (the second of which I saw only once) were either useless or not prepared to do anything - you decide. Things are moving so quickly now, I don't know if my brother has being informed yet, but he doesn't have a say in the matter anyway as I have sole POA. I'm just hoping there are no complications lurking around the corner.

Anonymous as well said...

Sounds positive for you Kid, it will be a fresh start and load off your mind. I can imagine your brother visting like usual only to find your Mother gone, due to no one giving him the heads up...It will be good for you to see your Mother again.

Kid said...

Oh, he'll be given the heads up by Social Work before then, AAW, but things have moved at such a pace, there's just not been time to inform him as yet. The Social Worker performed her 'magic' only today and hopefully the flit will be implemented at some time through the coming week. Dependent, of course, on capricious fate not deciding to bollox things up in some way.



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...