Sunday 19 June 2022

TIME EBAY DID SOMETHING ABOUT SOME OF THEIR SELLERS... (UPDATED)

Copyright DC COMICS

Some eBay sellers continue to astound me with their attitudes and behaviour.  Case in point is one by the name of Cannhall, who was selling a copy of 80 Page Giant Issue No. 1.  It was unclear from his picture of the item as to whether a sticker and some creases were on the comic or the bag, so I messaged him to ask.  He said he'd check when he got back home.  I later received another message volunteering to send me some photos - they never came.  What did come was yet another message saying he'd taken the item off sale because it had a rip up the middle of the inside of the comic.  However, despite his claim the mag remained on eBay.

I contacted him again and he said he didn't know what had happened as he'd tried to take it off sale three times.  Still wouldn't answer my query about the sticker and creases though.  A couple or so days later, the item finally disappeared from the eBay listings, only for the same ad to reappear a few days later - with no update on the alleged rip inside.  Curiously, it was now £2 cheaper.  He isn't replying to any of my messages for clarification, apart from one in response to me saying that I'd reveal his 'curious' way of doing business on my blog, in which he belligerently said he'd benefit from the publicity.  I rather think that folk would steer clear of such a seller, who doesn't appear to know whether an item he claims to have for sale has creases on the cover or its poly bag.  Does he even have the comic?

I see he has negative feedback from a buyer saying the item he received wasn't the same one pictured (same issue number, different, lesser condition copy), so I think that says everything one needs to know about this particular seller.  Definitely dodgy and one to avoid, I'd suggest.

******

And guess what?  The seller must have another account, as, without realising it was the exact same copy, I purchased it from a differently-named seller a few weeks later.  Their photo showed it unbagged, which is why I never realised it was the same item or I wouldn't have bought it.

No sign of any tear in the middle of the inside of the comic as was previously stated as to why it was (eventually) withdrawn from sale.  Below is my scan of the comic after I'd done a little work on it to optimise its appearance and condition (the actual comic, not the scan).

4 comments:

baggsey said...

You seem to have an unlucky hit rate with eBay sellers, Kid, from reading this and previous blogs of yours on this subject. I'd have thought that any seller would want to be unambiguous in their adverts about condition, just to avoid dissatisfied customers in the first place.

Kid said...

Actually, most of my eBay purchases pass without any negative incident, B, but because I write about the bad sellers, it gives the false impression that they're in the majority. (Don't get me wrong though, there are still far too many of them.) It's a bit like when I write about having a toy as a kid that my parents bought for me when I saw it in a shop window; it gives the impression that they always said yes to my entreaties, but the fact is that the times they said no probably outnumbers the times they said yes 100 to 1.

McSCOTTY said...

This is why I don't use ebay. Well that and I enjoy the physical search for old comics in back issue shops.

Kid said...

Yeah, but I've bought over 1,000 items via eBay, McS, and only had problems with a relative handful - so proportionately, eBay has been a positive experience. However, I use my blog from time-to-time as an organ (behave) of retribution, which is why I write about the few negative experiences to warn other would-be buyers about particular sellers. And in this instance, I never actually bought anything - the seller was merely messing me about for reasons known only to him.



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...