Monday 3 February 2020

SOUVENIR FACSIMILE OF THE MAGNET FIRST ISSUE...


Copyright relevant owner

If this were a more ambitious (and better) blog than it is, devoted to imparting knowledge on the featured subject, there would now follow an expository essay on the history of The MAGNET and BILLY BUNTER.  Fact is, though, I'm a lazy buggah and can't be bothered doing the required research just to justify showing you 5 pages, so if you click on the names, you'll be transported to their respective WIKIPEDIA entries, which should tell you everything you need to know (and probably more than you want to).  Problem sorted.

The images here are from a 1965 souvenir edition of the first issue of The Magnet, published by FLEETWAY.  Clock the back-page ad on the glossy cover, featuring RANGER, wherein the classic comic strip The TRIGAN EMPIRE made its debut.  A little slice of history, eh?  I think I once read a Bunter book, in which BILLY BUTLIN appeared, but I don't recall much about it.  I much prefer the comic strips of Billy that were drawn by REG PARLETT.  Any Bunter fans out there?  Declare your affection for the fat owl in our comments section. 




4 comments:

Terranova47 said...

I say you chaps..................

Bunter for me was the BBC TV show starring Gerald Champion.

Back in the 1950's I spent a few weeks in a Butlin's Holiday Camp. I have a memory of receiving a book in the post from Butlins one Christmas which was a Bunter Book with Billy Butlin in the story. It was the only Bunter story I ever read and the fact I no longer have the book indicates I had no interest in it. That may be what you remember Kid?

I did just read BIGGLES GOES TO SCHOOL which has the same Edwardian setting of a Public School for Boys which I would recommend over Bunter.

Kid said...

Can't remember if I ever saw any of the Gerald Campion series, T47, but I remember Jimmy Clitheroe, which I imagine may have been similar. I suspect the book you mention is the very story I read, but I'm wondering where I got it from - a jumble sale perhaps, or from a friend? It was the only one I ever read too, back in the very early '70s I think. I seem to recall Bunter running into Butlin while they were both out for a walk in the woods (separately), but I couldn't be certain after all this time. Maybe I'll track another copy down one day just to see what it was like.

I only recall reading the adventures of the adult Biggles, but I remember reading the Jennings books. Sort of abandoned Jennings shortly after I discovered the William books by Richmal Crompton, but for a short while I read both of them concurrently.

Terranova47 said...

BIGGLES GOES TO SCHOOL was published in 1951 well after the charactor was established through WW1, WW2 and into the Air Police.

THE BOY BIGGLES was published even later in 1968, one of the last Biggles books and the stories are set in India before he was sent to School in England!

They both are good reads, setting up the personality of Biggles, but frankly the only reason I have read them is because I ran out of adult Biggles stories to read.

Kid said...

I thought that would be the case. Much like Superman, the adult came first, then it was decided to look at what he'd have been like as a lad - hence Superboy. (Even though it had previously been shown he'd started his superhero career as an adult.)

I re-read a Biggles book not that long ago (2 or three years) and quite enjoyed it.



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...