Saturday 20 October 2018

FAB & FREAKY FRANKIE STEIN HOLIDAY SPECIAL COVERS, CENTRE-SPREADS AND ALSO AWESOME ANNUALS (UPDATED)...


Images copyright relevant owner

Apart from the centre-spreads, I've shown all these images before, but this time there's a difference. Previously, the covers for the 1975, '79 and '82 Specials were 'borrowed' from ebay, but the ones you see here are all from my own personal collection.  I've even replaced the scans on the first post where I featured them, so uniformity now rules in Crivens!  I considered using a bit of computer technology to disguise the spines of the centre-spreads, but decided against it as it'd be too much like hard work.  Maybe one day.

I've also thrown in the Annual covers, even though I showed them recently in another post, but I thought the completists among you might like to see them here - so here they are.  I sometimes amaze myself with just how generous I am to you lot, I really do.  Show me you appreciate it by leaving a comment and reassuring me that I'm not talking to myself.  Go on. 



















BONUS:  And just because it's a belter of an illustration, below is the cover to the SHIVER & SHAKE Annual for 1976.  Frankie got everywhere back then - Shiver & Shake, WHOOPEE!, and MONSTER FUN, as well as his very own publications. That's what you call a monster success!

5 comments:

Christopher Nevell said...

Frankie was THE IPC/Fleetway humour comic star wasn’t he - and now Rebellion have all the rights sorted out. I’d love to see a spooky humour collection from them. Let’s hope that the Creepy Creations collection sells well to give the signal more is wanted.

Kid said...

Actually, it's not quite as simple as that, CN. Time/Warner own the rights to the Odhams stuff, and therefore own Ken Reid's Frankie strips. IPC revived Frankie in the '70s, so while Rebellion just MIGHT own the copyright on the IPC strips, it's by no means certain that they can reprint them, as presumably they don't own the character. (Time/Warner do.)

Christopher Nevell said...

Kid, you might have missed it but the whole pre 1970 stable of characters has been bought by Rebellion in recent weeks. Kelly’s Eye, The Spider, The Steel Claw and Frankie are all now again rubbing shoulders with Adam Eterno, Janus Stark and The Bumpkin Billionaire. Have a Google and you’ll see this genuinely great news for all readers.

Kid said...

I did miss that, because the copyright for the recent Power Pack of Ken Reid boxed set featuring his work for Odhams wasn't granted by Rebellion, but by whatever Time/Warner are calling themselves these days. I'll check it out.

Kid said...

Just read about it, an interesting development. Finger on the pulse, me, eh?



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...