Thursday 4 October 2018

CARLOS EZQUERRA - 1947 - 2018...


JOHNNY ALPHA and associated characters copyright REBELLION

I'm a bit late with this, but I couldn't let Spanish artist CARLOS EZQUERRA's passing go unnoticed.  Over 30 years ago I became the regular letterer of 2000 A.D.'s STRONTIUM DOG, and I'd guess hundreds of pages (or so it seems) of Carlos's artwork passed through my hands as I added speech balloons and captions to his unique and distinctive-looking strips.  When I had a go at drawing a pin-up for 2000 A.D. back in the mid-'80s, I tried to emulate Carlos's style, while still retaining certain characteristics of my own.  (I was later paid for the pin-up, but don't know if it was ever published.)

He was only 70, which isn't that much older than me, and his passing is a sad reminder that my own youth is naught but a fading echo carried away on the winds of time.  Rest in peace, Carlos.   

8 comments:

Phil S said...

How sad. Did you ever get to meet him? We met him at a con a few years ago. He signed my 1980 2000ad annual which had a lot of autographs from 1980. He asked my son where he got it, he told him it belonged to his dad who got the boys to sign it at Forbidden Planet in London in 1980!

Kid said...

Nah, I never met him, but feel somehow oddly connected because of my involvement in the strip. I think Jack Kirby only met Joe Sinnott twice in all the years they worked on FF, and the first time wasn't 'til around 1975.

Mike said...

RIP a great man, and a legend

We can only hope you go the same way too soon Robson.

Kid said...

A previous detractor already told me that cancer was too good for me, so it seems likely that you'll be disappointed in your hope. And there you go again, speaking in the plural, as if you're speaking for others rather than just yourself. What a sad man you must be, with an empty life, to take the time to even type that comment never mind think it.

Dave S said...

Sad to hear of the passing of such a talented and influential artist. Thanks for all the pleasure your work gave me through the years, Carlos.

Its also disappointing that Mike thinks it's appropriate to hijack a post paying tribute to a legendary creator with his own personal grudges.

Kid said...

Sad to think that his work will no longer be seen in 2000 A.D. on a regular basis, DS. Thus endeth an era.

Mike said...

You speak for you and your equally sad homophobic racist bigoted sexist little band

I speak for everyone else

Kid said...

Actually, I only speak for myself on this blog, and I'm neither homophobic, racist, bigoted or sexist. You likewise only speak for yourself, unless you're telling me that there are others who are so full of hate, spite, bitterness and badness that they'd hope someone they don't know will die soon of cancer - which I doubt. What it all boils down to is that you can't stand anyone not seeing things as you do, which means that you're intolerant of views that don't match you're own.

Now, I've wasted enough time on you, you nasty, vicious, little scumbag, so don't bother trying to comment again - it won't even be read, never mind published. Here's an idea - if you don't like this blog, stop reading it.



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...