Monday 8 April 2024

DALEK DOUBLERS...


Copyright BBC TV and the Estate of TERRY NATION

Done it!  Finally managed to get a second copy of The Dalek Outer Space Book, meaning I now have two copies of each of the three Dalek Annuals from the '60s.  It bugged me that I had just two copies each of the first two books, but not the third - so situation now sorted.  This allows me to keep one set of the three books with the four '70s Annuals, and the other set in another room, allowing me to dig into them whenever I want to, whichever of my two rooms I happen to be in at the time.  Ah, the sense of freedom, the unbridled feeling of accomplishment, the unparalleled joy of ownership, the... oo-er, dial it down a bit, Gordie, you're getting carried away.  (Or I will be if the men in the white coats catch up with me.)

(In the interests of full disclosure, I've cheated a bit by using the above pre-scanned image of my other copy from a prior post, rather than go to the bother of scanning its recently-arrived twin.  I won't mind if you don't.)

To be honest, this is probably the weakest of the three Annuals as it has 8 pages of Chris Welkin Planeteer, a reprint of a newspaper strip by the look of it, though whether or not that was its original name is unknown to me.  Also, one could be forgiven for wondering if the book should actually be called The Sara Kingdom Outer Space Book (Guest-starring The Daleks) as she seems to almost dominate the contents at the expense of the tinpot tyrants.  Having said that, though, it's good to have 'doublers' of each of the three editions; after all, most people don't even have one copy of any of them.

Did you have any of the trio of  '60s Dalek Annuals when you were a kid?  If you were lucky enough to have had all three, which of them was your favourite - and why?  Crivens is an 'interactive' blog, so feel free to leave a comment in the you-know-where.  (No point being interactive if you won't interact, so join in.)  

13 comments:

Kid said...

I'll start things off, shall I? I also have two copies each of the three books, but that's probably because I'm your doppelganger from an alternate universe. Well done us, eh?

Colin Jones said...

Kid, I've now left some comments on Andrew May's blog if you're interested.

Kid said...

Saw them earlier, CJ. An AM post isn't an AM post without comments from you.

Monty said...

I've got the first Dalek Book which I believe was given to me with the first Doctor Who Annual. I've never owned the other two, sad to say. Never seen them for sale while I've been out and about and never looked for them on eBay. I guess I just assumed they would be crazy prices. That's about all I can say on this one.

Kid said...

The first Dr. Who Annual is usually priced reasonably, but the Dalek ones can be sky-high. It all depends on condition of course, but I've seen raggedy ones with ridiculously high asking prices. I've been quite lucky (in the main) with my purchases of them.

John Pitt said...

I only have one copy of each, the Dalek Book is my favourite annual, full stop. With the Dalek World a very close second. As for my third, it is the first POTA annual. I was somewhat disappointed with the third Dalek annual. I don't need any duplicates, as I have several digital copies of each and it is these that I read now.
Incidentally, there has now been an independent made Dalek annual omnibus reprinting all 7 annuals in black & white, but, for some reason in reverse chronological order??!! So far, I haven't been able to track a copy down.

Kid said...

I take it that'll be an 'unofficial' Annual, JP - as in 'pirate'? Don't fancy the sound of it much, if it's in b&w. Is it just the picture strips, or the text stories, or both?

John Pitt said...

I am not sure. I think it would be too thick if it included the text stories though?

Kid said...

The reason I ask, JP, is because one of the Annuals continues the strip stories into the text stories. If they left it out, two of the strips would have a 'jump' between them.

John Pitt said...

That's right, - the omnibus would need those text stories in between. Let' s hope they at least included those?
I 'll email you a pic of the cover, plus the (excellent!) DW 65 annual cover.
😉

Kid said...

It'll be good to see the Annual cover, JP. I think I saw it somewhere before, but can't recall what it looks like now.

John Pitt said...

Sent now. I'll try and find some internal pix for tomorrow ...

Kid said...

Thanks, JP.



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...