Thursday 26 October 2023

NOSTALGIA Meets MODERN TECHNOLOGY - Guest Post By Doctor ANDREW MAY...

Copyright non-existent

Crivs, you'll never know what it took for me to resist adding 'Or Then Again, He May Not' to this post's title, but suffice to say I'm exhausted by the mental battle that went on in my head while I wrestled back and forth with my conscience.  This current post surely proves that if you visit this site often enough, you'll eventually find something worth reading  - and have you struck it lucky today!  (That's a statement, not a question.)  Doctor Andrew May has done all the work with this post, so all that's required is for you to read it, and then show your appreciation for his efforts in our comments section.  Take it away, Andrew...

******

There's a great site called Comic Book Plus [ https://comicbookplus.com/ ] that has a huge repository of good-quality scans of old comics that are now in the public domain.  These are comics where no one saw fit to renew their copyright when it expired, so you won't find anything from DC or Marvel there, but there are plenty of gems including (due to a legal cockup) the whole line of black and white Skywald magazines from the 1970s, such as Nightmare and Psycho.  There are also dozens of Charlton comics from the 1960s, including the one pictured above - Unusual Tales #46, cover-dated August 1964.

I'm showing you this one because it leads into the main topic I want to talk about in this post, namely the use of Artificial Intelligence (AI) in the creative arts.  This has become something of a hobby-horse of mine over the last few months, and I'm really grateful to Kid Robson for giving me the chance to air it here.  Anyway, this issue of Unusual Tales includes a 2-page text story (by Joe Gill, probably) that addressed this exact topic almost 50 years before the mainstream media started getting all excited about it.

The story recounts what happens when an inventor comes up with a fiction-writing computer and sells it to a pulp magazine publisher.  His sales pitch emphasizes the economics of the thing: "We save the money we pay to writers.  In addition, it sets up the type and does the printing, editing and binding.  So we don't have to pay any person a salary."  He also demonstrates how the machine can be programmed to write in different genres, such as romance, sci-fi or Western.  But when it's put to work, the computer gets its wires crossed and comes up with nonsense like "Elizabeth took Jose in her arms and bit his nose.  Then she turned upside down and took the first spaceship for Mars.  Heartbroken, Jose took out his gun and began to smoke it."  Far from being a disaster, however, the result is a hit with readers, who like the humorous novelty of it.

This makes two really good points about AI, first as a threat and then as an opportunity.  Mainstream journalists tend to focus on the "threat" aspect - not surprisingly, because they're the ones whose jobs may soon be done more cheaply by computers.  But there are opportunities in AI too, such as the one highlighted in the story, where it breaks new ground by "thinking outside the box".  There are opportunities, too, for those people who may have creative aspirations that - prior to AI - they couldn't do anything about, because they lack the necessary artistic skills.

I'm very much in this latter category, which is why I've taken to AI so positively.  I don't have any difficulty writing prose, because that's basically my job, but I've used Bing's chatbot to create song lyrics, which is something that's way outside my comfort zone.  Here's an example that I liked enough to put on YouTube: The Zen Matrix [ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pq3XgvnDNR4 ].

That video also uses AI-generated art, courtesy of Bing's free Image Creator service.  You just type in a short textual prompt and the computer comes back with four matching pictures.  For this particular video, I used a number of prompts like this one: "A young woman in the lotus posture, imagining that she is in a Matrix-like computer simulation, in anime style".  The prompt for the lyrics was "Write a song called Zen Matrix from the point of view of someone who has discovered through meditation that they are living in a simulation, using esoteric and surreal imagery."

I can understand why someone with genuine artistic talent might be worried or angered by this sort of thing, but from my point of view it's fantastic.  Here's another example.  I've always wanted to produce a comic of the kind I used to love in my younger days, and Bing Image Creator gives me the chance to do just that.  You can see the result below.  I was so pleased with it that I wrote an article around it and sent it to Fortean Times magazine, who published it in their July 2023 issue.  So "professionally published comic book creator" is another item I can tick off my bucket list!

Click on images to enlarge, then click again for optimum size

Another type of computer tool that's much better now than it used to be is text-to-speech voice synthesis (partly thanks to the use of AI to parse text on a phrase-by-phrase rather than word-by-word basis). When Kid recently wrote some posts in the style of Stan Lee, I mentioned in a comment that you can turn text into a pretty reasonable facsimile of Stan's voice via the Fake You site [ https://fakeyou.com/ ] (you can use this for free without signing up or logging in, but if you try at any time other than 8 or 9 am UK time, you may end up in a long queue).

Going back to the Comic Book Plus site I mentioned at the start - another advantage of all their comics being in the public domain is that, not only is it legal to download the comics for free, but you can also use, adapt or alter them however you want.  So I had the idea of taking a story out of one of them, putting the dialogue through the Fake You site, and creating a kind of animated cartoon.  Unfortunately, I couldn't get this to work in a convincing way when characters need to be speaking with any kind of emotion in their voice, so I went for a "documentary" style story with a single narrator doing a voice-over instead.

The story I picked was a short feature by Steve Ditko from another Charlton comic, Konga #7 from July 1962.  As some of the Fake You voices are better than others, I just went for the most convincing one I could find, which was Tom Cruise (although I deepened it slightly, to make a better fit with the narrator's appearance as drawn by Ditko).  Anyway, here is the result - my favourite effort so far on the theme of "nostalgia meets modern technology"!


******

C'mon, Crivvies, don't let me down.  Be so good as to take a few moments to leave a comment to show that you appreciate Andrew's time and effort in writing this post especially for readers of this blog.  And I'm sure you'll find something interesting at the links he's provided.

27 comments:

Andrew May said...

Hi Kid - many thanks for posting this so quickly after I sent it to you, and with such a professional look too. Your barely suppressed pun at the beginning reminded me of a boss I used to work for in the early 1990s, who never stopped making puns like that whenever he introduced me to someone! But your very flattering words immediately after that make up for it!

Kid said...

I thought I'd better 'say' it before another Crivvie said it, AM, which is why I sort of succumbed to the temptation. Y'know, if you hadn't identified Tom Cruise in the YouTube clip, I don't think I would've twigged it was him. The 'artificial' voice just didn't have the range of expression that the real Tom does. However, the question is - just what are you going to write about for your next guest post? (And thanks again for writing this one.)

Colin Jones said...

By coincidence AI is currently in the news with a new "Beatles" song created by AI technology and an international conference on the future implications of AI hosted by Rishi Sunak (well, he has to do SOMETHING to seem relevant, poor thing).

Kid said...

Well, the contributions of the fab four are real enough, CJ, but AI technology was used to bring the standard of reproduction to an acceptable level. As for politicians, they all struggle to seem relevant, simply because none of them are.

lord mikolaj said...

I think the potential for AI is amazing! No more writers block! If you have trouble starting a story, let AI begin it and just edit it to your liking!
Also, thanks for the heads up about Skywald. I bought a few when they first came out but saved hardly any. Now I can read them without paying a small fortune. Highly appreciated!
Take care now and Happy upcoming Halloween!

Colin Jones said...

It's actually an old John Lennon tape that Yoko found in the back of a drawer, Kid, and nothing to do with the fab four but the song is being shamelessly marketed as the final single by the "Beatles".

Kid said...

Happy Hallowe'en to you too, LM, but it's AM who deserves the thanks for the heads up about Skywald.

******

And the George Harrison contribution is also from an old source, CJ, but once you put the four of them together, they're The Beatles.

Andrew May said...

Thanks for the various comments. Both Colin and lord mikolaj bring up additional "positive" benefits to AI - the latter in providing off-the-wall ideas for novels, songs etc which the human author can then pick up and run with. I think that's probably the single most useful application of AI in the creative world. And I think one of the things the "Beatles" used it for was to extract the voice only (minus instruments) from John's demo tape - something non-AI software can't do. As for Kid's comment about my next guest post - I'll take that as a challenge and get back to you!

Kid said...

Looking forward to it, AM. I'm finding blogging difficult at the moment, so all potential guest posts from anybody and everybody considered.

Colin Jones said...

Kid, you probably aren't interested but I'll mention it anyway - Titan Books (who currently have the rights to Conan) have started releasing monthly short stories in a series called "Heroic Legends". These short stories will be written by modern authors and will feature Robert E Howard's characters like Conan, Solomon Kane, Bran Mak Morn and others. Each story costs £1.99 and at the moment they are available only as e-books but I suppose they might get collected together in a physical volume at some point. Anyway I intend to buy the first two stories (featuring Conan) and then the next one (featuring Solomon Kane) is available on November 28th so I'll consider buying that one if I like the first two.

Don't forget that the Christmas stamps are issued on November 2nd. You can see them if you google UK Christmas stamps 2023.

Kid said...

The memory must be going, CJ. I published your comment with the intention of replying to it immediately and then forgot. (I'm getting worse.) I don't think I'll bother with the short stories, but I'll definitely be getting some Christmas stamps. Cheers.

McSCOTTY said...


Despite the obvious effects of AI on jobs I think the benefits of AI at present outweigh the negatives, especially in the medical arena. My concern would be that the known exponential growth in computing capabilities along with the expected introduction of quantum computing (expected to double in power year on year) will mean that AI is going to progress to the stage where those little AI helpful hints in the realms of the “arts” will very soon turn out to be fully realised pieces of art in their own right (written, illustrated or music) with artists being no more than computer inputters. Saying that AI is here to stay so there isn’t a lot we can do about it other than embrace it. Then again I’m still miffed that lettering is no longer done by hand in comics, so perhaps I’m being a tad negative.

Kid said...

YOU'RE miffed, McS? How do you think I feel?!

Colin Jones said...

Radio 4's Open Book programme on Sunday afternoon will be discussing the implications of AI for the future of books so that should be worth a listen.

Kid said...

I'll try and remember to give it a listen, CJ. Ta.

Andrew May said...

Thanks to McScotty for his thoughts, which I agree with completely. Even a year ago there really weren't any widely available AI chatbots or image creators that the general public could use for free, and now we have sevewral that are genuinely useful. So thinking just a few years into the future, we may get to the point where AI is so good that it really can outdo humans - and that would be very worrying indeed! Thanks to Colin too for the heads-up about the Radio 4 programme - I'll definitely give that a listen.

Kid said...

Glad to see your guest post getting some responses, AM - hopefully it'll get quite a lot more yet.

McSCOTTY said...

I meant to add this was an excellent thought provoking post by Andrew. And thanks for the link to that comic site I'll have fun checking that out later.

Kid said...

I'm sure that AM appreciates your appreciation, McS.

Andrew May said...

Yes, very pleased with all these comments - of which there are quite a few now, as Kid alluded to earlier!

Kid said...

Like I said, AM, let's hope you get some more yet.

Colin Jones said...

Oops, I should have thanked Andrew for his interesting post so thanks, Andrew (or Dr Andrew as Kid called you).

Kid, don't forget to put your clocks back an hour tonight - I've already done mine so for the rest of today I have to remember that the proper time is an hour ahead of the time on my watch.

When I mentioned those REH-influenced e-book short stories in my earlier comment I forgot to add that today (October 28th) is exactly 10 years since I bought my first e-book which was a novel called "The Golem & The Djinni" by Helene Wecker, first published in 2013. Golems and djinnis (genies) are mythical creatures from Jewish and Arab folklore so it's a curious coincidence that 10 years later the Jews and Arabs are at each others' throats again in the Middle East.

I've been watching Top Of The Pops on BBC Four via iplayer. The episode was originally broadcast on Thursday, October 27th 1977 which was the same day I got Rampage #3 and Complete Fantastic Four #6. It was also three days after I saw 'Sinbad & The Eye Of The Tiger' at the cinema. If you're wondering, the song at No.1 on TOTP was 'Yes Sir I Can Boogie' by Baccara.

Kid said...

I called him Doctor 'cos he's a doctor, CJ, but I assume that's down to a degree in something rather than it being a medical title (could be wrong though). As for 'Yes Sir, I Can Boogie', not only do I remember it, I still own the single I bought at the time. I've also still got the follow-up, 'Sorry I'm A Lady'. I bought replacements for both of them a couple or so years back, but I still have my originals.

Andrew May said...

That's right Kid - a "doctor of philosophy" (PhD) in computational astrophysics, University of Manchester, 1982. That sounds very fancy but really these days equates to little more than programming realistic physics into a sci-fi video game! The only reason I use the Dr prefix on things like YouTube and social media is because the handle is usually still available, whereas plain "Andrew May" isn't. But the latter will do for my next guest post, as and when I get round to it!

Kid said...

In your own time, AM, and if anyone else wants to write a guest post then let me know. AM has set the bar pretty high - are you up to it, Crivs?

Colin Jones said...

Kid, did you know that Baccara were the first female duo to reach #1 on the UK singles chart?

Kid said...

Can't remember whether I knew that or not, CJ. If I did, I'd forgotten. I bought a couple of Baccara CDs a couple or so years back and thought they were pretty good. Perhaps it was mentioned in the 'inserts' about them being the first female duo to reach Number One in the UK.



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...