Sunday 22 October 2023

FRIENDS REUNITED...


"Those were the days, my friend, we thought they'd never end..." is something me and a pal used to sing around the time of Mary Hopkins' hit single of the late '60s.  Or maybe it was just a little later (though not by much) when my pal and myself belted out those lines as we gadded about the streets enjoying ourselves.  (Hey, give us a break, man, we were only about 9 or 10 years old, no older than 11.)  Occasionally, in later years, we'd still warble bits of the song, as it reminded us of when we were kids with forever seemingly ahead of us.

Those days did end though, after my pal joined the Royal Navy in 1977 and seemingly started to hold me in lesser regard than previously.  Whether it was by sometimes not visiting me when he was back home on leave (though he usually did - as far as I know), or not coming to see me when I moved down to Southsea (at his request) for 3 or 4 months at the start of 1981, he appeared to be distancing himself from me as he immersed himself in his new life.   Were there aspects of his marriage that he didn't want me to know about (his wife left him after about two-and-a-half or three years), or was he worried that I'd inadvertently 'blow the gaff' on the lies he told everybody about himself if I met his new friends?

Who knows, but I was always puzzled as to why he bothered to invite me to visit (and even stay) with him in his new location when he evinced absolutely no inclination to have anything to do with me when I took him at his word and accepted.  Perhaps his wife had thought it a good idea and he was only trying to 'keep her sweet', or maybe he thought (and hoped) I'd never accept, but whatever the reason, he treated me like a bad smell for the entire duration of my stay.  That's why, without telling him of my intention, I decided to have nothing more to do with him when I last saw him in a canteen in Haslar Hospital in Gosport towards the end of April 1981.

I last heard his voice in 1987 when it emanated from the speaker of my Panasonic telephone answering machine as he pretended to be a Detective Chief Inspector in the Hampshire Police Force, so even his last words to me were a lie.  He just wasn't the same person I'd known as a kid and teenager - or maybe he was and I'd just never noticed at the time.

Anyway, as regular Crivs will perhaps know, 5 weeks ago today, I discovered he'd died around 10-and-a-half years back, so if there'd ever been a chance of me burying the hatchet (there wasn't - I was too angry and disappointed in him) it was now gone forever.  And yet I find that I still have fond memories of him when we were kids, teens, and young adults, and I have a better opinion of who he seemed to be then, than the absurd fantasist and liar he 'became' after joining the Navy.  Or maybe it's simply that my fond memories are more of my childhood than of him, and he merely 'benefits' from the association?

As I said, I last saw and heard from him in the '80s, which is a hell of a long 'separation' for two people who'd once been such firm friends (or at least I'd always thought so) and faced all sorts of adventures side-by-side as we explored office buildings, schools, hospitals, hotels, pub rooftops, and all sorts of other places (after hours) in which we should certainly never have been.  'Side-by-side'?  Well, that's not quite accurate - he was usually a few feet behind me as I led the way, urging him to follow in my footsteps.

He was especially a few feet behind me on the night we were jumped by a gang.  As I faced up to them he cowered at the back of me, then did a runner as I got belted over the head with a big bit of heavy wood.  I was outnumbered by at least 6 to one, so on that rare (and only) occasion, I thought it best to follow my pal's lead and make myself scarce, following in his wake as he disappeared over the horizon.  At least the huge lump on my head got me some time off work the following day.  (This would've been around early 1975 when I was still 16, in my second job since leaving school.  It was a local Co-op in case you were wondering.)

So in memory of happier times, I dug out an old primary school photo he'd given me back in 1978, copied it, framed it, and placed it next to an old primary school photo of myself (same school) on a nest of tables on the hall landing.  Mine, as you can see, is black and white while his is in colour.  I could've made it b&w to match my pic, but why deny him his moment to outshine me and put me in the shade?  It's not something he ever managed to do while he was alive, so I can afford to be generous.

And there you have it!  Two childhood friends who once seemed inseparable, finally reunited, side-by-side - even if only in framed old photos atop a table in a hall landing.  It's not much perhaps, but it'll have to do, won't it?

(Tiddely pom).

******

Any friends ever let you down, to the extent that you completely disassociated yourself from them?  Tell all in the comments section, Crivvies.  C'mon, it's no fun if no-one joins in!    

13 comments:

Colin Jones said...

I parted company with a friend because he kept flying into violent rages. To be fair it wasn't his fault as he had mental health issues but his behaviour was becoming impossible to cope with (this was the same friend who changed his surname to Parker before I persuaded him to change it back to Price). I still send him a Christmas card every year but I haven't spoken to him since December 2000. But unlike you, Kid, this wasn't a friendship going back to childhood - I didn't meet him until I was 22.

McSCOTTY said...

I think only one friend of mine has let me down. This happened when I questioned his behaviour due to drink when we were on holiday with our then girlfriends in Greece. Up until then we were pretty close friends but after that he never really spoke to me again or was in our crowd of pals when we were out. I was pretty disappointed in him when this first happened but soon I realised if that was how he wanted to deal with this, then that was fine by me and he wasn’t really a friend despite knowing each other for over 10 years at the time (and we were in our only in our mid 20s when this happened so we were pals for a long time). When I eventually moved to London with work for around 3 years I forgot all about him and our fall out and ran into him in Motherwell (near Glasgow for non Scots) when I returned home and although he briefly acknowledged me (a grudging nod of the head) he was pretty distant and made it clear he didn’t want to engage with me (or my pals) so I gave up on him for good at that point. A few other pals I have had over the years I just grew apart from (and they from me) as things changed (married, divorced, kids etc) in one occasion I found out a pal wasn't someone I wanted to hang about with due to some of his errrr lets say rather dodgy acquaintances. But on the rare occasions I see most of them again when out and about, they all at least still talk and we can have a laugh about old times.

Sorry to hear your old friend passed away pretty young - despite his problems that was really sad.

Kid said...

Does he ever send you a Christmas card, CJ? To me, Parker doesn't seem any better than Price as a surname, so it's strange that he should change it. However, if he had mental health issues, his behaviour wouldn't have been rational so there's no point in trying to understand it I suppose. If you ran into him in the street or at the shops, would you stop to talk to him or just nod and be on your way? (Yeah, I'm a nosy buggah, ain't I?)

******

I think it was probably self-inflicted to a large extent, McS, as he was an alcoholic as well as a heavy smoker, which may account for his cancer - if indeed that's what he died of as I was informed by one of his FB friends. Yes, some people do grow apart as they get older, which is sad to a degree, but perhaps only if they wish they hadn't. I still have other friends who I've known almost as long as I knew the one mentioned in the post.

You're right in that he was pretty young (53, going on 54), but until you said it I never thought of him as being young. Photos of him on someone else's FB page show a ravaged man who looks much older then his years.

Colin Jones said...

He doesn't know my current address, Kid, as I've moved house since the time I knew him. Changing his name to Parker was directly related to his mental health problems (because Parker sounded similar to Parc which was a mental hospital in South Wales) and I thought reverting to his real surname might help him feel more normal again (I'm not a psychiatrist so what do I know but I think he was glad to have his old name back). If I met him again I'd speak to him and say hello but I hope we don't meet as he might want to be friends again which wouldn't be a good idea.

Kid said...

For you, him, or both of you, CJ? (Being nosy again.) There's always the chance that he no longer lives at his old address or has passed away, so you might be wasting your time and money sending him a card. I suppose you'd rather not talk to him anyway, otherwise you'd include your address in one of your cards. Maybe it's time to give the cards a miss then, eh?

Colin Jones said...

As far as I know he's still alive and living at the same address, Kid, so until I hear otherwise I'll keep sending a Christmas card because he always liked receiving them and I don't consider him an ex-friend, merely a friend I don't have contact with anymore. He turned 65 on July 28th which had completely slipped my mind until recently and if I'd remembered back in July I'd probably have sent a birthday card because 65 is an important birthday!

Kid said...

H'mm, I don't think I'd bother sending a card to someone I hoped not to meet again, CJ, but maybe they do things differently in Wales. When I hit 65, don't worry about a card - just send me loads of money as a birthday present. That'll do me nicely.

baggsey said...

An interesting blog, Kid. I can't say that I've had the misfortune to have friends who have changed character, although I have come across individuals who at some point decided to live a fantasy life and have been adept at manipulating friends and work colleagues. I'm sure there is a psychiatric term for these individuals, but it is very difficult to identify their behavior at the time. It sounds like you were well out of the friendship, post 1981. At least you got to enjoy the pleasures of Southsea!

Kid said...

Yeah, had I never attended his wedding in 1978, B, Southsea and Portsmouth would've remained unknown to me. I suspect that he never 'changed character' as such, its just that the extreme nature of it became more obvious as he got older because his lies and fantasies got more and more absurd. I've recently told a couple of people in my home town who knew him back in the early to mid '70s that I just found out he'd been dead for 10-odd years and their first response was "Was he not a bit of a liar?" What an impression to leave behind, eh?

Anonymous said...

Reminds me of a time around 30 years ago when I was having my car looked at at the local garage when this old boy ( late 70s I thought )
came in and joined me. He drove an immaculate Morris Oxford. We started talking about how well looked after his car was. He informed me he was 95 years old and only used the car for one thing now, and that was to visit his friends at the graveyard. Those were the days my friend.

Kid said...

If I were 95, I'm not sure I'd be visiting friends at the graveyard, 'cos at that age it might not be worth my time returning home.

Anonymous said...

Anonymous ???? It's me LH. I haven't kicked the bucket yet !!

Kid said...

Glad to hear it, LH, but you never 'signed' your comment. Should your avatar be there? If so, don't know what happened.



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...