Saturday 6 May 2023

SUPERMAN, DRACULA, FRANKENSTEIN, AND THE SHADOW - NOW THAT'S WHAT I CALL A PARTY...


Characters Copyright DC COMICS and relevant and respective owners

I stand before you today and confess to a serious crime I committed back in the '80s.  I mutilated my original copy of the above issue by dissecting it and putting the cover and splash page up on my bedroom wall.  I have an impression of doing so in (what is again) my present abode before flitting to a new one in 1983, then adorning my new room with the pages' presence, but my memories are stronger of them in the latter than the former so I'm unsure as to exactly when I committed this heinous offence.  (I'm still guilty either way.)

Not that it matters from your point of view, but I always strive for accuracy - even if I don't always achieve it.  I still have the original pages, but I'm unsure whether or not they've ever been on the wall since I returned to this house in 1987.  So why did I use the comic for pin-up fodder do I hear you ask?  I wasn't too keen on Curt Swan's version of The Monster (though he was likely under editorial instruction not to replicate the Universal Studios/Jack Pierce look), so I decided it was surplus to requirements and decided to decorate my wall with a couple of pages.

Anyway, today (yes, Royal Mail was delivering, Coronation or not) I received a replacement for this issue, bought on eBay, and in doing so turned back the clock 43 years into the past.  It's actually not a bad little story, though I was never too keen on Frank Chiaramonte's inking of Swan's pencils, much preferring Murphy Anderson's talents in that department.  (Didn't everybody?)  It's just a shame that he wasn't utilised on this issue, as it would've made the finished pages visually more appealing.

It's a curious-though-satisfying feeling to re-read a comic in the same house in which I was living when I bought my original issue, over 40 years ago.  (Especially so, considering we moved away for four years before returning.)  The years just melt away and once again I'm in my 20s, with forever seemingly in front of me.  Unfortunately, 'forever' passes far too quickly and makes a mockery of many hopes, dreams, plans, and ambitions, but you probably know that for yourselves by now if you're anywhere near my age.

Unfortunately, there are a few colour smears on the cover (which I've disguised here via digital technology), so I'll be looking for a better condition copy in the future.

Also received today was The Shadow Annual 1987.  The previous year, Howard Chaykin had produced a four-issue limited series (which I've got) of the character for DC, and though he wasn't involved in this mag's contents, going by the masthead it's clearly intended to complement Chaykin's quartet of mags (or cash in on them, if you prefer).  Some nice art by Joe Orlando and Alfredo Alcala, though, surprisingly, no particularly memorable images.

I only found out about the existence of this issue a week or so back and deliberated for a while before finally buying it.  In doing so, I've again turned back the clock - this time by 36 years.  I'm travelling in Time so often these days (even if only in my mind), I think I'll have to change my name to The Doctor.  (Or perhaps you think I should just see a 'mind' doctor?  Ho-ho!)

Anyway, enjoy the images on display and feel free to comment if you wish.

8 comments:

baggsey said...

Sorting through the longboxes here on a Saturday morning, and have just seen my original copy of the same Shadow comic. Despite being quite impressed by the new Shadow rendition at the time, today it holds no interest for me. DC have tried many times to make a success of the Shadow, but I think only those with Kaluta's involvement (whether as artist, or writer, or layouts in the various versions he got involved with at DC, Marvel and Dark Horse) capture the Shadow closest in my mind.

Kid said...

To be honest, B, although I yet have my four Chaykin Shadow comics, I wasn't too impressed by them at all, so it's a bit of a mystery as to why I bought this Annual as it isn't even by Chaykin. Just a sense of completion perhaps, because it looks as though it 'belongs' with the other four. I bought the first ish of the Kaluta Shadow way back when, though it's a replacement issue I now own, obtained decades ago. However, I've got the hardback collected edition of Kaluta's issues, again bought decades back. I quite enjoyed reading that.

McSCOTTY said...

I'm in the minority on this, but for me Frank Robbins Shadow was DCs best ( although there is no denying Kaluta's wonderful work).

I bought that Superman co.if years ago at a comic Mart but still haven't read it. Agree Murphy Anderson was Swans best inker.

Kid said...

I've only ever seen Robbins' Shadow in a link you once provided, McS, so I'm not too familiar with his version. However, he was really good at creating an atmosphere on Batman so I think I'd probably like (maybe even prefer) his take on the character.

Colin Jones said...

I know Royal Mail were delivering on coronation day because I received a letter from OVO Energy informing me of their updated prices, which arrived moments after Queen Camilla had been crowned (I was listening to Radio 4's coverage at the time). The OVO letter wasn't as interesting as your Superman comic, Kid, which has a fantastic cover!

Kid said...

Yeah, but I'd say Superman's legs look a bit short, CJ. Still very dramatic though, and the story isn't bad either.

John Pitt said...

I too have committed the same mortal sin with comics, Kidda! If only we could go back in time and stop our younger selves from doing it, eh?

Kid said...

That's what I kind of did when I bought this replacement ish, JP - went back in time. Had the comic once, now I have it again. Yippee!



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...