Thursday 3 November 2022

FOR FAWKES' SAKE - (Too good not to use again)...


Images copyright their respective owners

What can match the thrill, as a kid, of one of your favourite comics having a free gift every so often?  I never used to be able to sleep properly the night before the 'big day' and would be up around 8 a.m. to run over to my local newsagent's (handily located just across the road from me) and plunk my money down on the counter to pay for the anticipated paper periodical and its treasure within.

Talking of paper reminds me of the heady aroma of all the newly arrived daily newspapers, as well as whatever comics came in on that particular day, that pleasantly caressed my nostrils.  I loved it!  Then back across to my house to savour the delights of comic and gift, before either getting ready for school or jumping back into bed if it was a Saturday. Ah, unparalleled, intoxicating memories of yesteryear - long may they linger.

Whizzer & Chips #3 had a cardboard Guy Fawkes mask within its pages, which I assume was intended to double-up as a Hallowe'en mask too, as the November 1st cover-dated issue actually went on sale on or around October 25th 1969.  Yeah, 53 years ago - shocking, innit?  (The same mask had been given away in a 1965 issue of Buster, but I only discovered that fact a few months back.)  A year later, DCT's Topper comic #924, cover-dated October 17th (on sale on or around the 10th), gave away a Splodge, Last of the Goblins glow-in-the-dark mask.

Thinking about it now, I wonder why, in those two instances, the publishers didn't coordinate the gifts closer to the actual occasions they celebrated?  Never mind, we'll let them off with it seeing as how it was so long ago, eh?  Anyway, Hallowe'en may be over, but we still have Guy Fawkes Night to come, so I'm going to give you the best of both worlds by presenting, for your perusal, both masks in the one post.

If you have any reminiscences about the times they represent, feel free to record them in our comments section.  Oh, one more thing - "Penny for the Guy?"  (Nowadays, it would be "Fiver for the Guy?", which is probably why we don't see that particular practice being perpetuated in present times - nobody would pay it.)

Oh, before I forget, below is a Guy Fawkes mask from a 1997 issue of Buster.  If I recall correctly, Buster presented this mask on the centre pages every year for quite a few years, though it may have started life as a cardboard giveaway to begin with.  (Anyone know?)  It's perhaps ironic that though we presumably celebrate Fawkes' failure to blow up the Houses of Parliament every November 5th, there's probably a sizeable proportion of the population nowadays that wishes he'd succeeded.  (Hands up if you're one of them.)

11 comments:

Colin Jones said...

When I was in secondary school my maths teacher, Mr Ken Morgan, had the nickname Splodge.

Guy Fawkes Night was always a huge event in my childhood (unlike Halloween which was almost completely ignored) and we kids spent the preceding weeks collecting junk to build up the bonfire. I still look forward to the fireworks and I go out into my back garden to watch the local displays. But nowadays Guy Fawkes Night has another meaning for me because my mother died on November 5th 2009. This year is the 13th anniversary of her death which means she's now been gone for as long as my entire pre-teen childhood.

Kid said...

Hallowe'en and Guy Fawkes Night (or Bonfire Night as it was sometimes called) were pretty equal when I was a kid, CJ. At school, we'd make Hallowe'en masks, and then a few days later (unless it was the weekend), we'd make masks for the Guy.

13 years, eh? Funny how quickly time passes, isn't it? Buy a box of sparklers and light one on the night in memory of your mother. I'm sure she'd like that, wherever she is.

Rip Jagger said...

The older I get the more I begin to side with Fawkes. I'm not saying blow them up, but the system needs a good shake for certain.

Kid said...

Politicians certainly need a rocket up them (as the old saying goes), RJ, to remember that they're there to serve us, not help themselves.

McSCOTTY said...

Had to smile at your memory of waiting for your comics , the smell of the paper etc thats so much like my own memories of those days. My favourite free gifts were the Odhams ones and the Scottish and English football league ladders, footy cards and of course those noise makers , great days. I never liked Guy Fawkes night and only liked halloween in my late teens early 20s when I used to go to party's and clubs in fancy dress

Colin Jones said...

And how are YOU doing, Kid? Are you still a carer or has that changed now?

Kid said...

Funnily enough, McS, I hate Guy Fawkes Night nowadays and the constant setting off of fireworks days before and after the event. I think fireworks should be restricted to November 5th and anyone using them outside of that date should have the sh*t kicked out of them. (In a caring and considerate way of course.) And Hallowe'en is for kids! Late teenagers and adults should know better and have the sh*t kicked... you know the rest.

Ah, but the smell of that paper.

******

Things have changed now, CJ, as the person concerned has been taken into care to (hopefully) get a better standard of care than I could provide, given my own health deficiencies. There may be a post coming about the situation one of these days.

McSCOTTY said...

Ah yer a g
Grinch Kid halloween parties in your late teens -early 20s was a great and fun way to meet girls/women when you were younger ( especially if you had to wear a mask so they had to go on your "patter" ladies were mosy to gain to wear masks lol).
Sorry to hear that persons now in care but as you say will be better fir them and I'm sure you can visit.

Colin Jones said...

Isn't it actually illegal to set off fireworks before November 5th? I could swear the government made it illegal a few years back but I could be wrong (and the law would only apply to England & Wales anyway). I blame the Millennium celebrations because setting off fireworks on New Year's Eve just encouraged the selfish morons to think they no longer needed to stick to Guy Fawkes Night. I'm pretty sure that setting off fireworks weeks before November 5th didn't occur before the Millennium.

Phil S said...

It so odd when you think about it. Are we actually celebrating Guy Fawkes blowing up parliament or that he was caught? And since he didn’t actually blow it up doesn’t it make more sense to not send up fireworks?

Kid said...

I suppose seeing how we burn him in effigy, PS, we're celebrating him being caught, but the lines of distinction do seem a little blurred at times.



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...