Sunday 20 March 2022

TWO 'DOUBLE DOUBLE COMICS' (SORT OF) - BUT ONE IS MORE 'DOUBLE' THAN THE OTHER (AND ONE IS FREE TO A GOOD HOME)...

Copyright DC COMICS

As it happens, I bought two of the above Superman albums (via eBay) on the same day just over a week ago, and it's just as well I did.  I ordered the first one knowing it was a bit battered (I felt confident I could 'tart it up' a little), but then, nearly 3 hours later, it belatedly occurred to me to check to see if a better condition copy might be available and - surprise, surprise - there was, so I bought that one too.

When the first one arrived, not only was it battered and b*ggered, it had 64 pages missing.  Not to worry, the seller gave me an immediate, no-quibble refund in full and told me to bin the book.  How can 64 missing pages go unnoticed you may wonder.  Before we get into that, first let me remind you (as disclosed in an earlier post) that the album is a collection of 7 issues of Super DC, which consisted of 40 pages per issue.

The covers of each periodical had been removed (without affecting any strips), then the comics glued together and given a new cardboard cover - similar in concept to the Double Double Comics that Thorpe & Porter used to sell of old US DC and Marvel mags.  However, unnoticed by the seller, two issues had become detached at the staples and been lost, leaving behind pages numbered 3, 4, 37, & 38.  (In other words, pages 5 to 36 were missing - twice.)

Someone had glued the pages together on either side of the gap at the spine to conceal the absent contents, but the jump from page 4 to 37 gave the game away to anyone who looked at the page numbers.  I presume this was a previous owner - the seller probably just didn't check the book in any great detail, an oversight many sellers are prone to (I can safely say, from long hard experience of buying stuff via eBay).

Anyway, I thought it was a shame just to bin it, so decided to perform some remedial surgery on it.  First I removed any pages that started a story, but didn't finish it (or finished a story with no start), which amounted to 6 pages (3 sheets) in all.  Although the book originally said '250 Super Pages', it actually had 252, not counting the new cover.  The abridged edition now has 182, but following the original blurbs example, I printed out '180' to cover the now redundant number.

So it's incomplete, but maybe a UK Crivvie might like it - free of charge - as it has some nice stories in it.  One stipulation: I want it to go to someone who will keep it, not just read and then throw away (or sell on eBay) or give to a charity shop.  In other words, a 'forever home', where it can sit on a shelf somewhere and enjoy the status of 'interesting curio'.  If anyone's interested, let me know.  (Remember, it's the one on the left of the pic, not the one on the right.)

First come, first served.

(Incidentally, following my tender administrations, there are now no gaps in the binding of the book, which gives the appearance of being complete and tightly bound.)

4 comments:

Philip Guest said...

Hi Kid - love to take you up on the offer, if it's still going.

Kid said...

As stated in the post, PC, it was a UK only offer, but for you I'll make an exception. You'll have to remind me of your address again, which you can do here (don't worry, I won't publish it) or via email.

Kid said...

Ah, I was mixing you up with Philip Crawley who lives in Australia. If you leave a comment with your address in it, I won't publish it and will get the book in the post to you. My memory is atrocious these days.

Kid said...

Update: Never heard a dicky-bird, so I presume the first commenter changed his mind. Anyone else interested?



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...