Tuesday 23 November 2021

THE ROCKETEER - MEGO ARTICULATED FIGURE...



Hard to believe that The Rocketeer movie came out 30 years ago, the character having debuted a mere nine years earlier as a back-up tale in the pages of Starslayer #2.  Created by the late Dave Stevens (who sadly died in 2008 at the ridiculously young age of 52), the complete eight chapters have been reprinted in various editions (that I know of) down through the years, and at least one of those volumes belongs in every true comics fan's collection.  (And a deluxe 40th Anniversary Artist's Edition is due out in April 2022.)

Regarding the movie, I've only ever seen occasional bits of it on TV, never the full shebang, but one day I intend to sit down and watch it from beginning to end.  I already have a Rocketeer figure which came out around the time of the film, but I recently bought this Mego figure 'cos I thought it was a neat looking item.

Only one problem: the straps which attach the rocket pack to the figure are of a barely stretchable flat plastic and are difficult to get the arms into without them digging into the tunic's sleeves.  Each loop needs to be half-rolled over them, which results in the plastic becoming twisted in places, and I was worried that this procedure might eventually damage the fabric of the tunic, if not snap the straps.

So what was the solution?  I carefully removed the original straps (without breaking anything - that's the two-loop [single piece of] plastic you can see at the bottom of the clear display 'case') and substituted a softer black elasticated cord which allows me to affix the rocket pack with no difficulty or risk of damage to either the cord or tunic.  Who's a clever boy then?  (Now feed me some Trill.)

My collection of Mego figures is coming along nicely, and another one (this time from America) should be arriving in a couple of weeks or so.  Can you guess who it is?  Don't worry if you can't, he'll be revealed on the blog when he arrives.  Can't wait 'til he gets here.

Anyway, below is the cover of one of The Rocketeer collections I mentioned.  Do yourself a favour and track down a copy as soon as you can.  You'll love it.

14 comments:

Rip Jagger said...

While Rocketeer like almost all movies makes changes to the original storyline (necessary changes I'd argue) they are few and far between. The comics are big on the Rocketeer interacting with classic pulp heroes and they are gone, but the replacements are clever for the most part. It's well cast and for the material well acted (broadly at times). I enjoy it and you remind me it's well time to fish it up and watch it again.

Rip Off

Kid said...

The Complete Adventures is sitting in front of me as I type, RJ, so I aim to re-read it at the earliest opportunity. Exquisite art. I'll also look for an inexpensive DVD of the movie to watch before too long, hopefully.

Colin Jones said...

Ah, you just answered the very question I intended to ask, Kid - do you already own a DVD of 'The Rocketeer'? Obviously not but I thought you might have meant that you did own one but hadn't got around to watching it. I haven't seen the film either so I can't say if it's any good or not.

Kid said...

I remember it got mixed reviews at the time, CJ, but it'll be interesting to see what the flying effects are like. Let me know if you see it before I do.

Terranova47 said...

I had seen a couple of episodes of a movie serial which I think was called Rocketman made in the 40's or 50's. When I first read a collected edition of Rocketeer I was delighted as it was a similar idea but far better done.

The Rocketeer movie was great fun and well cast with Timothy Dalton better cast than as Bond and probably the best role Alan Arkin ever played. While the story is a little silly at times the visual feel for the era is terrific and you will really enjoy watching it Kid.

Here in the US, TWIX Candy Bars had a promotion for a Rocketeer wrist watch in exchange for wrappers. I ate tons of the bars to obtain two watches. One for me and one for my then seven year old daughter's collection of advertising/promotional watches. I have never eaten a TWIX since.

Kid said...

I remember seeing that serial on TV in the early '80s, T47. I think it was called King Of The Rocket Men. I wonder if US Twix bars taste the same as the UK ones.

McSCOTTY said...

I remember that King of the Rocket Men serial being in TV a while back as well, I quite enjoyed it. I also enjoyed the Rocketeer film one of the better comic book films of the time. It was so sad Dave Stevens passed away so young a wonderful artist.

Kid said...

Cliched as it sounds, McS, at least his name and his art lives on. And long may it be so.

David Simpson said...

In a case of the tail wagging the dog Disney Comics published a comic book adaptation of the Rocketeer movie, scripted by Peter David and drawn by Russ Heath. My memory says that it was solidly enjoyable, well done, but lacking that touch of genius Stevens brought to his work. https://www.comics.org/issue/847330/

Kid said...

Yes, I've got that adaptation - must dig it out and re-read it. Was surprised to see though, on re-reading The Complete Adventures, just how many assistants Dave Stevens used. Top-notch artists too.

Graham said...

I actually saw the movie before I read any of the Rocketeer's adventures. It was a nice enjoyable movie, nothing earth-shattering, but fun. Would have liked to have seen more movies as well as more comic adventures when I got to read it. The comic is superior, of course, but the movie is worth your time.

Kid said...

That's me now read the movie adaptation, G, which was a nice little read (as DS says somewhere above), but not as good as Dave Stevens' strips. I'll let you all know what I think of the movie when I eventually see it. (Might just wait until it's on TV again.)

baggsey said...

I absolutely loved Dave Steven's Rocketeer, collecting the comics at the time. The film is a fine tribute - great casting, great 30s feel very evocative of Dave Steven's artwork, but somehow just missing the mark when it all came together. If Steven Spielberg had been behind the camera, I'm sure it would have been a massive hit. Joe Johnston did fine direction, but like his Captain America - The First Avenger - it falls short of greatness. I read recently that Disney+ are working on a TV series of The Rocketeet, so all is not lost.

Kid said...

I thought Captain America - The First Avenger was a great wee movie and I thoroughly enjoyed it. Surprisingly, I later learned that a friend who isn't a superhero fan or reader also greatly enjoyed it. I'll have to watch it again and see if I can spot why it didn't quite work for you. Annoyingly, your link in my blog list isn't showing your posts or the time they were posted. I think Blogger has been farting around with things again, as only 10 posts show in my blog list unless I click 'Show All' at the bottom of the list.



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...