Friday 8 January 2021

BEANO - THE DENNIS COLLECTION

Celebrating 70 years of menacing...

Copyright D.C. THOMSON & Co., Ltd

Got any Christmas money left, Crivvies?  Then you may want to consider treating yourself to a copy of this great book which arrived at Castel Crivens today.  No need for any info from me when you can read the official spiel on the back cover of this nice thick hardback volume - oh, what the heck, I'll give you some anyway.  This terrific tome contains Dennis's first appearance, the 'speculative' debut of his striped jumper, Gnasher's initial appearance, and no doubt other 'firsts' as well.  (Not long arrived, so only had a cursory browse through it.)

Originally £20, I got mine (new) on eBay for just under £14, post free, so check online for the best deal you can get as, considering the book is still currently available, I've seen some ridiculously high asking prices.  It's a great collection, though there's no explanation as to why Dennis's mum and dad suddenly change appearance towards the end of the book, so older readers who haven't seen The Beano in some years might be left scratching their heads.  Most strips have the date of when they were first published, but two or three seem to have slipped through the net.  Anyway, highly recommended.

(Scary thing is, it only seems like a year or two since I bought the 60th Anniversary collection - a whole 10 years ago.)

******

Having now read the book, I note that a few of the later stories appear to 'start midstream', as if they began on the cover which has then been omitted.  One story even seems to have a third page missing, as it ends as if there's more to come, and another seems to be a Dennis 'extract' from a larger, issue-length story featuring all the comic's characters.  That aside, up to that point it's great.  And let's face it, it's really the classic stories that most readers will be buying this book for anyway.  In that regard, it doesn't disappoint.  



15 comments:

Colin Jones said...

Last week I found that my mobile phone was completely dead so I've just bought a new one costing £169.99 - that used up the remains of my Christmas money I'm afraid!

Kid said...

My 'phone cost a tenner brand new, with a sim card with a tenner's credit on it. £170 for a 'phone? The world's gone mad, CJ.

McSCOTTY said...

My phone packed in at the end of October as well Colin £150 for a new one and even more annoying my other halfs phone packed into day... £170. Kid a phone under a contract averages about £400 (built into you monthly access bill). I need a semi decent phone for sat nav for the car and work etc plus we binned our landline so save on that . But like Colin no spare cash for comics this month either

Kid said...

I just want a 'phone that's a 'phone, nothing more, McS. However, you have to remember that I still live in 1977 (when I'm not living in 1967), so anything more is wasted on me. Incidentally, my new 'phone was purchased only a few months back from a shop in the Town Centre, so it was a good deal for a Philistine like me.

Colin Jones said...

My old phone cost £478 when I bought it in 2012. I must have been insane to spend that much!

I've just been watching 'I Walked With a Zombie' (1943) on iplayer. Those old b/w horror/sci-fi films are great, aren't they. I remember watching them on those BBC 2 double-bills on Saturdays back in the '70s and early '80s. And 'King Kong' (1933) and 'The Thing From Another World' (1951) are also currently available on iplayer so I'll be watching those too.

Kid said...

I love the old Universal horror movies, CJ. See if you can get the Spanish version of Dracula on YouTube, filmed on the same sets that Bela Lugosi's version was made. He made his during the day, and the Spanish crew shot on it at night. It's actually more atmospheric than Lugosi's version and moves at a better pace (less 'stagey'), though the lead actor isn't quite as good as Lugosi in the role.

Right, I'm off to my scratcher, will answer any further comments when I awake.

McSCOTTY said...

Yeah some of those old films are excellent. In Scotland in the early to late 70s they were shown on TV I think Friday night under the title "Don't watch alone" great stuff.

Kid said...

Yeah, the name was revived in the late '80s or early '90s, McS, with it's own filmed intro to the movies. Originally, in the early '70s, it was just a title card with an announcer saying "And now it's time for 'Don't Watch Alone'..." I saw a load of Universal and Hammer films for the very first time in that slot.

Phil S said...

I want a Dennis the Menace jumper

Kid said...

I think they were actually available at one time, PS, and might still be. Check out the Beano website. (You'll have to Google it 'cos I don't have it handy.)

Phil S said...

You’re right they do have them ! Ta very much for the advice .

Kid said...

No bother, PS. Hopefully they do adult sizes as well.

C B Rigby said...

Thanks for the heads up. Dennis was the Beano strip I most looked forward to seeing as a kid.

Kid said...

I think you'll enjoy the book, although some of the more modern stories towards the back of the volume seem to have been abridged. See my added info to the post for details. (Adding them just after this.)

Kid said...

Oops! That should be 'its', not 'it's' in one of my above responses to McS.



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...