Friday 13 November 2020

HOW TO DRAW COMICS - AND MORE BESIDES (UPDATED)...

 Starting off with the BIG one...

Images copyright respective owners

As every Crivvie is sure to know, I'm a hugely-respected artistic figure within the comics community, being every bit as talented in one aspect of the field as another.  Writer, artist, letterer - you name it, I can do it - but one thing I'm even greater at is my ability to type sh*te with my tongue in my cheek and a straight face*.  So getting back to the real world, I thought I'd show you some of the books in my collection that are designed to help aspiring artists fulfill their potential, as well as their dreams and ambitions.  (In my case, they made an exception.)

No further comment from me is necessary, as I've included the back cover spiel so that you can read for yourselves what they're all about.  I've got a couple more lying around somewhere, which I'll add whenever I stumble across them (now done).  Incidentally, the ripples on Will Eisner's book are on the clear protective sleeve over the dustjacket, not the dustjacket itself.  Wouldn't want you to worry that I've got a less-than-perfect copy (autographed too) on my bookshelf.

Now - unleash the books of art!

(*Slightly amended as I don't think readers got the humour in the opening paragraph.)





















7 comments:

Phil S said...

Rich Buckler! Never seen that one before. Nice.

Kid said...

It's a good wee booklet, PS - just under 8 and a half inches high.

Rip Jagger said...

I have the Marvel book and the Eisner books on art. The latter are very very insightful and I've even used them in connection with classroom assignments. I wish I had a copy of the Hogarth book, it's one I've long desire.

Kid said...

The only one I've ever really read all the way through is the Marvel one, Rip, which is mmy favourite. I'll get through the others eventually.

McSCOTTY said...

The Marvel book was in the Works in Hamilton a few months ago for £5. Did you get any info from that (or other) books like this Kid that you needed as a pro or is it more for amateurs ?. I like the look of the Joe Kubert book.

Kid said...

I suppose it could be assumed that pros wouldn't need such books, McS, and (if such were the case) they'd therefore be for aspiring amateurs. However, I think you'll find these books even in the library of pros, to serve as prompts, hints, reference, an interest in the various subjects, another possible way of doing things, etc. Amateurs would obviously benefit more from the actual 'comics' themed books though.

Kid said...

Oops - for 'mmy', read 'my' in my reply before last.



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...